Help! snake in the drain

When I first saw the "headline" I thought RUN! SCREAMING!!! Now I see it's not a real snake and I'm still thinking RUN! SCREAMING! So sorry, hope you get it fixed without a huge plumbing bill....or a fight!
wink.png

Sorry, I have been on the phone trying to get a plumber to come out. Ground is frozen and can't find the cleanout. House was built as a cottage in the early 40's and nothing is as it should be. Have not been able to access it via any other route. Plumber will be here some time today. Have I told you I hate old houses? 3feet of snow in the front yard and the ground is frozen. Im sure this is gonna be a wopper of a bill. I appreciate everyone trying to help.

Well they are going to jackhammer up the basement to get to the snake (cheaper than digging up the yard). Then putting in new trap and clean out. Still don't know if the original problem is fixed.

Everyone has tried. Currently hammering up the basement. The 2 basement silky girls are not impressed. The plumber will be back in the am with the parts and to fix the mess that dh made. Sounds like under $500 at this point if nothing else goes wrong. Thanks for all your warm thoughts!

Thank you everyone, so grateful for your support and advice. Plumbing is repaired and final bill was actually about 200. But we still have to repair the 2x4 foot hole in the floor. They also found a hole in one of the pipes under the floor that is contributing to our ongoing "wet floor" problem. In the end, the only thing they say is causing the problem is that our house was a 1940's cottage and the plumbing was a homemade septic, when they hooked into the sewer, the "pitch" was not good enough so that we have stuff sitting in the lines. No real cure. But at least we know whats going on. I guess he talked to dh about us doing some kind of monthly flushing.
idunno.gif
I know nothing about plumbing but ok. Now on to the next home project. Putting in a granite and glass backsplash. At least this I won't need help with.

Hey, you found the cause of your wet floor, retrieved the snake and it could have cost a lot more. Don't let your husband slough on repairing that hole. (I know the procrastinator in me would try to.) Glad it worked out. No pun intended.

Back
Top Bottom