Help! Sneezing, gasping, week old chick

BlazingLeon

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2020
Sorry for not introducing myself, but I figured this was more important.

I'm a first time chicken owner.
I have a week old silkie chick that's sneezing around 5 times back to back every minute or so, and is breathing through it's mouth with it's neck stretched. Theres no discharge from the nose or eyes, no wheezing, and no pasty butt. It's eating, drinking and pooping normally, and the temp in the brooder is between 90-95 degrees. I put probiotics and electrolytes in their water, and made sure that the brooder is clean. I only use pine shavings, and im feeding them un-medicated 20% chick crumbles, with boiled eggs as a treat every few days. It's in a brooder with 11 other chicks, and only one has an occasional sneeze, with no discharge. I just gave it a mixture of sugar, garlic, and yogurt water with a dropper to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of your brooder set-up? How is the air circulation above them? Did the chicks come from a breeder, feed store, or from a hatchery? Make sure the chick has clear clean nostrils, and I would wonder if the chick got a small piece of pine shavings in it’s throat. I would get it drinking plenty of water.

Do you have any pictures of your brooder set-up? How is the air circulation above them? Did the chicks come from a breeder, feed store, or from a hatchery? Make sure the chick has clear clean nostrils, and I would wonder if the chick got a small piece of pine shavings in it’s throat. I would get it drinking plenty of water.

I got 3 from breeders, and the rest are from a local feed store. As far as I know, there’s not a lot of circulation. They’re in a feed trough with no lid though, so there’s a lot of ventilation. They have a heat lamp, make shift perch, sandbox, feeder, and a vinegar bottle with holes cut out for water, since they kept putting shavings in their uncovered waterer. I tried looking down it’s throat but I couldn’t see very well cause it was moving it’s head a lot. It’s drinking water like normal, I also put a garlic sugar mixture in the water to see if that helps.
Thank you for the fast reply!

Attachments

• 27616A29-5EB4-4F58-8B1D-D0379E48E023.jpeg
    27616A29-5EB4-4F58-8B1D-D0379E48E023.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom