HELP,..someone stranded another Pekin duck at the college pond

I have been going to the college for YEARS to run/walk and feed the ducks/geese and a few days ago someone let another Pekin duck go in the parking lot and it walked over to the lake where I was and (Shorty) the other Pekin duck there has a mate (Rocky) a Mallard drake SO since it was night time and he didn't know the area or probably how to fend for itself,..I took it home,..NOW I need advice,..he won't eat any of the seed/corn that I feed the other ducks,..he is obsessed with finding me where ever I go,..does not take to any toys,..chases everyone and nips at them,..I can hold him in my lap and that is all he likes,..He scratches like crazy,..Can they have fleas and mites and if they can How do I help him get rid of them,.????? I keep him on the back porch at night,..with lots of water but WHAT DO I FEED HIM??? What am I going to do with him?? Need help ASAP,...
you need to give it duck food, or an all flock pellet or crumble
not corn, not bread
lice/fleas a permethrin spray or powder, its an insecticide, you can even get it at lowes/walmart for like $10

what kind of powder? What ingredients should it have,..this poor guy scratches all the time,..can they have fleas and/or mites?
permethrin see above

I javr a spray called PetArmor that is all natural with peppermint oil and cinnamon oil lemongrass.clove.thyme'caster oil vanilla and water...what do you think..worth a try??

If you can see what stores near you sell livestock food, if its a male then all flock feeder is fine (even layer is supposed to be ok but I understand that's not the best for male ducks). He probably has lice or mites, if you have the time to let him get in a kiddie pool and wash frequently. I got one once that was COVERED in mites, but letting her bathe 3-4 times a day and they all drowned within 3-7 days, no chemicals needed. OH and please please please get large dog cage or kennel, its dangerous to leave him out all night with no protection, wood shavings make a nice bedding that doesn't get moldy like straw and lasts a bit longer. I use woo shavings and wood dust together alternating to make at least 3 layers before I use all new bedding.

I javr a spray called PetArmor that is all natural with peppermint oil and cinnamon oil lemongrass.clove.thyme'caster oil vanilla and water...what do you think..worth a try??
Can try but I'd go with the stuff you know works and it's relatively inexpensive

If you can see what stores near you sell livestock food, if its a male then all flock feeder is fine (even layer is supposed to be ok but I understand that's not the best for male ducks). He probably has lice or mites, if you have the time to let him get in a kiddie pool and wash frequently. I got one once that was COVERED in mites, but letting her bathe 3-4 times a day and they all drowned within 3-7 days, no chemicals needed. OH and please please please get large dog cage or kennel, its dangerous to leave him out all night with no protection, wood shavings make a nice bedding that doesn't get moldy like straw and lasts a bit longer. I use woo shavings and wood dust together alternating to make at least 3 layers before I use all new bedding.
pine shavings not just any wood PINE has antimicrobial values

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing it natural did NOT work,..he is scratching again like crazy,..I did see little fleas or mites in the water that I washed him in,..don't know how to tell the difference between them two,..shall I go bigger with pyrethin???

Doing it natural did NOT work,..he is scratching again like crazy,..I did see little fleas or mites in the water that I washed him in,..don't know how to tell the difference between them two,..shall I go bigger with pyrethin???
on dousing should do it, you can do the spray or dust but you want to get it on the skin
really get it on him

***wear gloves and mask!!! it is poison!! try to keep it away form his face
vent and under wings seem the most common place for the bugs

You can also bathe him in a blue dawn dish soap bath. That will kill fleas and mites. Just make sure to change his bedding after the bath so he doesn't reinfest himself, then bathe again in a week.

Back
Top Bottom