HELP! Something is terribly wrong!

Is her neck squishy around her crop area or is it separate from her crop? You might look her over for any puncture wounds. I have had hawks swoop down and injure my grown chickens before, and raccoons in the daytime have picked off one or two.

Is her neck squishy around her crop area or is it separate from her crop? You might look her over for any puncture wounds. I have had hawks swoop down and injure my grown chickens before, and raccoons in the daytime have picked off one or two.

Thank you for all of the info you have given! We do not have a vet around here, and like you said cost would be a concern. I also just had a baby (he's 6 days old) and a toddler running around..... a sick chicken is the last thing we need right now but we're trying to save her.

For some reason I didn't consider a hawk. That is a real possibility. There was a low flying hawk yesterday that I noted and when I bathed her I did see a small puncture wound under her tail... it is possible there's more, I will look more closely the next bath and try to get some better pictures. The squishyness is all down her neck and into her chest area if that helps. I will keep updates coming.

Thank you again for the resources !

Last edited:
If you think it is air under the skin, you can try deflating it with the needle. I'm sorry that you have so much going on right now--that is the way it always seems to happen--everything at once. You really have your hands full. An injured or sick chicken really takes a lot of time. She is so badly injured that I'm not so sure she will survive even with the best care. Keep us informed on her condition.

***UPDATE***
Pepper is hanging in there.... she accepted some oatmeal with boiled egg and raspberries this morning and ate a tiny bit of her regular feed. I haven't seen her drink water but I could see she spilled some so I'm hopeful she got into it.

We cleaned her bottom again today- got her good with peroxide- the area looks pretty clean and it doesn't bubble- im hopeful we're avoiding an infection (she has very runny poop right now). Some of the skin seems to be reattaching, a hanging piece I did have to remove- she didn't mind. We slathered her butt with neosporin after cleaning and trimmed some feathers. The purple is from yesterday in attempt too prevent pecking. She actually feels less swollen today and I don't feel the same squishy feeling I did before. We also checked and no puncture wounds other than under her tail base.

One question: where the skin is missing under her butt, what is under there? And is it normal? I'm not sure how much it is supposed to stick out... it was much easier to see before the purple stuff was put on. Any extra advice appreciated !

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

She looks pretty good. I didn't know if she would live or not. The part that got ripped off is the epidermis, and I believe the area that is purple is the dermis (see below). I would not use the peroxide anymore since it can prevent healing. Dish soap and warm water are good to use if she needs more baths, but you might want to buy a bottle of Vetericyn Wound Spray at your feed store. It is pretty good stuf. One time was okay. You are doing a great job. Watermelon is a great way to get fluids into them, and also by adding a lot of water to a small bowl of chicken feed. Keep us posted, and good luck.

12.png

shopping

Back
Top Bottom