Help Starting Deep Litter in my coop

HeidiPDX

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
PNW (Portland, Oregon)
My Coop
My Coop
I live in PNW and have 3 chickens. Building "the garden coop" a henhouse elevated inside a run (see photo).The location is on a slight slope so building a retaining wall /foundation to set the coop on. The foundation consists of concrete pavers: manor block walls (see photo) that would be sunken almost 2' deep to just above ground level and a Holland paver floor. Any advice on deep litter inside a concrete paver foundation that is 1'8" deep? There is a polycarbonate roof to keep it dry and plenty of ventilation as its raised above a hardwire top and walls.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 4.58.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 4.58.56 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Well, I don’t do the deep litter method myself. But i would think it would take a long time for this to be gone through. I think that compost king does this. Let’s tag him and see what he and others have to say. @Compost King

Digging a 2' deep hole under your coop and run could be good, or not.....
First thought is it could end up holding way to much water/moisture.
Keeping any chicken area dry and clear of standing water with good drainage is most important.
@3KillerBs @rosemarythyme
It's concerning me. the team building it says it will drain through spaces between pavers and blocks but he doesn't know compost so this is a scary expensive experiment. There is a roof over it.

The location is on a slight slope so building a retaining wall /foundation to set the coop on.

It's concerning me. the team building it says it will drain through spaces between pavers and blocks but he doesn't know compost so this is a scary expensive experiment. There is a roof over it.

The roof will keep rain from falling directly in.

If water flows downhill into the coop space, then you will probably have a wet mess inside.
But if the water flowing downhill gets diverted around the coop, you will probably be fine. A ridge or a ditch uphill of the coop could help direct water to either side and let it flow around the coop, rather than in.

do you think the depth of floor at 1'8" is too deep? would you first add a layer of soil on top of the pavers?

I might throw some dirt in just because the chickens would enjoy scratching through it, but I don't think it will matter much.

I'm not sure how "too deep" would be an issue, unless water is getting trapped in there. Having the solid part be a bit higher than the surface of the litter can be good, because that will help keep the litter inside. Otherwise, it tends to get thrown out through the wire fencing.

For the actual litter material, I would build it up gradually, using whatever suitable materials are handy. For example, you might start with some wood chips, add vegetable peelings and other compost-type materials as you have them, shred the junk mail (paper) that arrives in your mailbox, add the weeds you pull from your garden or lawn (only if not sprayed), pile in lots of dead leaves in the fall... Each time you dump in more stuff, the chickens will spread it out and mix it into what is already there.

If it ever smells bad, check whether water is flowing in, and add more dry material (because smells usually come from being too wet.)

This post, perhaps this whole thread, might be helpful to you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gravel-base-in-run.1401030/post-23014952

If it stays dry it's more deep bedding rather than deep litter but it still works to absorb the poop. The composting action of deep litter depends on a certain amount of moisture being present.

The thing will be to ensure good drainage so that water doesn't puddle inside. :)

The roof will keep rain from falling directly in.

If water flows downhill into the coop space, then you will probably have a wet mess inside.
But if the water flowing downhill gets diverted around the coop, you will probably be fine. A ridge or a ditch uphill of the coop could help direct water to either side and let it flow around the coop, rather than in.

I might throw some dirt in just because the chickens would enjoy scratching through it, but I don't think it will matter much.

I'm not sure how "too deep" would be an issue, unless water is getting trapped in there. Having the solid part be a bit higher than the surface of the litter can be good, because that will help keep the litter inside. Otherwise, it tends to get thrown out through the wire fencing.

For the actual litter material, I would build it up gradually, using whatever suitable materials are handy. For example, you might start with some wood chips, add vegetable peelings and other compost-type materials as you have them, shred the junk mail (paper) that arrives in your mailbox, add the weeds you pull from your garden or lawn (only if not sprayed), pile in lots of dead leaves in the fall... Each time you dump in more stuff, the chickens will spread it out and mix it into what is already there.

If it ever smells bad, check whether water is flowing in, and add more dry material (because smells usually come from being too wet.)

Back
Top Bottom