Help stopping soil erosion.

And here’s some before and after shots. So far anyway. I have to build the new fence and enclosure still.

View attachment 2381384View attachment 2381385View attachment 2381386View attachment 2381387
I would not have them down in a low spot, it needs to be raised so it is the high spot. Water is going to go to the lowest point. Then maybe create an earthen berm to divert the water around the run area. If tha run area is the highest point and graded so it has some fall to get rid of the falling water, should be good.

Is your yard sloped at all? It looks like maybe it is towards the right of the bottom pic (away from the coop). If so, that is good. A trench or drain or berm, or something like that can help and the water has somewhere to go.

Still, you need to build up the run. We have a chain link fence around the run, and there is a roof over most of it. And it is behind the barn, so that helps. But, we had water running through one side of the run and were thankful we had built an elevated coop. So, we redirected the barn gutter run-off to start. Then we politely asked a friend that works at a factory if he could get sawdust. He brought us around 800-1000lbs of sawdust :eek:, but we spread that around most of the 500sq ft run (it is 10'x50') as a base. Then we got around 18-20 yards of chipped wood from a tree company and put ALL of it in the run. It was comical at this point, because the chickens that had climbed to the top of the mostly spread out chipped wood, seemed to be at eye height - although they weren't quite that elevated, of course. We spread it out some more and over the course of a couple of weeks, it settled down to a normal height. We did place boards around the base of the fence so that the chipped wood would stay inside the run. In their favorite spots we ended up adding some sand and peat moss and wood ashes - to create nice and light dust bathing areas.

I CAN move it. But I would have to get someone out here with a flatbed to load it then move it to a new spot. It’s a 8x10 storage shed that I converted to a chicken coop. And the couple other locations I can move it are not ideal either. I’d rather not do that.

Building the French drain is an option. I hadn’t thought of that.

I can sort of see the water flow path that it’s made in the dirt. So a french drain should be easy enough. Since I know how the water flows.

You must address the water flow issues and it has to be a permanent solution; a french drain or diversion can work but do not underestimate the work involved, likely to require more than a shovel and lots of sweat!

You say the other locations are not ideal; in what ways, water flow as well? If you have a location that does not have water flow issues I would carefully assess how to deal it's limitations; consult here 'cause multiple minds are always best.

An 8' by 10' shed is not a biggie, depending on land contours and distance to be moved it may be that a few round logs and a sturdy set of rope/pulleys (park your car and tie one end to it) would be sufficient?

Terracing is how this issue has been addresses for thousands of years. Build a wall high enough on the lower side to stop the dirt from washing away. That may be one wall along the bottom or you may need intermediate terraces in your run. See if you can read up on terracing and how to do it.

Berms and swales above the run can divert rainwater runoff away from your run. Don't let the water flow in to start with. The problem with this is that you are concentrating the rainwater runoff so you will probably get ditches eroded into your soil where that is. That is a real common problem in hilly country. There are techniques to deal with that but it's not always easy. What you need to do is reduce the energy of the flowing water. Some methods are to put large rocks in that gully that won't wash away or maybe filling the gully with brush anchored so it doesn't wash away. Or allow a thicket of brush and maybe briars to grow in the gully.

When I was in Arkansas I stopped my driveway from washing away by building a rock pile (I won't dignify what I did by calling it a rock wall, pile was more accurate) across the lower side. That caused water to back up and stand in my front yard so I installed a French drain under my driveway.

Even if you stop rainwater runoff from flowing through your run and eroding it, rain will fall in it. The chicken's scratching will cause the dirt to go downhill due to gravity. I'd still terrace even if you do divert runoff from the run.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies! My yard slopes downhill from right to left. So as you look at the photos the coop is the high point and the run the lower point as water runs from the left to the right of the property. Of course it was all green and fine looking so hey, lets put it right here, nice and convenient. Then the chickens ate all the grass and it was nothing but dirt then the rain did it’s job.

I do have convenient access to wood shavings. I think they are pine though so probably not ideal. However, with anything I put in the run to build it up I’m worried the rain will simply wash it away. So if I’m understanding my first task is to divert the water. Once the water issue is solved then build up the run.

However, with anything I put in the run to build it up I’m worried the rain will simply wash it away.

This is where the terracing comes in -- using some kind of barrier to keep the bedding in place.

It could be block, landscape timbers, rock, brick, metal skirting, random logs from trees you've cut, ...

This is where the terracing comes in -- using some kind of barrier to keep the bedding in place.

It could be block, landscape timbers, rock, brick, metal skirting, random logs from trees you've cut, ...

I looked up terracing but the photos I saw were of a much steeper incline. I suppose it just make sections in the run with brick or whatever as you say. So just a straight line of bricks every 5ft or so then fill in with bedding and continue.

This seems pretty straight forward and I do have bricks available.

Pine is fine. Cedar is not ideal.

Yes, divert water in whatever way makes sense in your situation.

Then build up run. You may need to put in blocks or other material to keep the run material from washing out when it rains since the area is on a slope.

Cedar is what I was thinking of! What I have access to is used for horse bedding and barns. I’m pretty sure it’s pine And not cedar. Cool beans.

Large wood chips! Ok.
I imagine those might be even cheaper since not many folks are after them.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom