Help Suddenly lethargic hen- did I do something wrong?

Quote:
It is normal for a bird not feeling well to display an amazing demonstration of health around its flockmates. This is for self-preservation, as the flockmates will attack a bird not behaving normally.

I have found that picking a treatment and sticking with it for 2 or 3 days before adding something else usually works best for our flock.

I think Ming Ming would be better off in isolation, so she can relax and heal and you can keep a better eye on her. Put her water and food right under her nose. Work with her to eat and drink. Use a needle-less syringe or dropper to put vitamins by the side of her beak, instead of putting them in the water.

Try to get her to eat some yogurt, applesauce, or chopped egg yolk alone or mixed with her feed. A little tumeric mixed in her yogurt will help boost her immune system. Instead of the cat food, you can try to tempt her with tuna, salmon or mackerel. Just a note, whenever you change something in her diet, it will change the look of her droppings.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
It's supposed to be another HOT day tomorrow so I am probably going to bring her in anyway again. I have been trying to feed her, she's difficult to feed. She did take some cooked carrots this evening. Was walking around some more, but I can tell she's not right. Hopefully tomorrow I'll see an improvement. I am not so sure she will make it, I just wish I knew what it was. It's like she has some symptoms of a many things but not all of one thing.....

I am pretty new at all of this but I've read that watermelon does wonders for a chicken, haven't tried it yet, but I did try out some overripe bananas and they loved them.

Checking on Ming Ming. Did you try electrolytes? Have you tried a dropper to feed her?
hugs.gif

Very tough to feed her with a dropper. Drinking on own, not eating much at all. Not eating regular food, but did eat cooked carrots again today. Her poop today I have not seen, ( gone most of the day ) but was last a yellow green color a little less runny. she herself is still droopy, it is hot though.
She's not improved, but not better. What woud do such a thing?

when was the last time you wormed her?
the color of the carrots is probably what is getting her to eat them... try taking a watermelon (or portion of one rather) scoop out an indentation (thus making a "bowl" for the feed)and put her feed in that indentation... the watermelon will moisten the feed and the red color will stimulate her to peck at it...

Last edited:
Not a bad idea. I made her mash today and she didn't even look at it. She usually devours it.
I wormed her yesterday, but have always kept them on an Apple cider vinegar preventative. I did notice her picking at herself today, so maybe still a mite issue? I just see no evidence still. I hate to overwhelm her but I finally got some DE and I can attempt to dust tonight.

Ming Ming is SO much better. She's no longer sitting in a corner just watching the day get past her. Her tail is up, she's walking around and actually scratching
yippiechickie.gif
. Not 100%, but a HUGE improvment. I still have no idea what it could have been, thanks to a personal note someone thought maybe Salmonella and I just went ahead and started treating it. I know we are not out of the woods but I'm happy to think she'll be sticking around a bit longer.

Here she is just a couple months ago....

Ming-Mingfixed2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom