Help Suddenly lethargic hen- did I do something wrong?

s6bee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Western, NY
My hen Ming Ming is a 1 yr. old who is always assrertive and alert. This a.m. I noticed her just laying in the dirt and when she didn't rise to greet me I knew something was wrong. She did get up, I took a look at her and she seems to be clear of anything near/on her vent, waddles are still red but she's just lethargic. When I put her down, she hasn't really moved from that spot so I'm not sure if she's hurting. Usually she's the one to gobble down the treats, she poked a bit at them and ate a tiny bit but not her ravenous self.
The past 2 days have been in the 90's and so I put electrolytes in thier water yesterday. Could I have possilby given too much and this cause her lethargy?
I am making eggs for her, I have no yogurt but any ideas would be helpful on what is best now. Sugar water, vitamins, worm them even though I see nothing?
Thanks

Is she alone?
What is her coop or bedding?
Has her feed changed?
Has there been any animals (rats, mice, foxes, etc.) in or near her coop or run?

* We're on a slow roast setting around here, and everybody is lethargic that isn't in a/c. Try misting her with some cool water and see if she shakes it off and starts to preen after a bit. Is there enough shade in the run?? Extra waterers? Don't go overboard with the lytes. I'd keep it at a half-dose, I think. Hope she perks up after a spritz. . . . Let us know.

s6bee~
I'm in Texas and we've hit 98 degrees so far.
One of them acted similar to yours two weeks ago.
I had to feed and water her by hand for two days and then she just perked up and was fine.
I think she just got dehydrated and wasn't prepared for this heat.
Good luck.
Keep us posted.
Cathi

She's not improved. Today is not as hot, but muggy. The thing that is weird is that she literally won't move from the spot we put her. So I've put her back into her coop where the food and water is. She did drink a little, the electrolytes are gone. I put vitamins and apple cider vinegar ( as I do once a month ) in the water anyway.
I did go out there and I thought I saw a mite on her back feathers, but I've never seen one before so not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I picked her up, looked at her vent and seems fine, not swollen, maybe some dirty feathers but not horrible. I can't see any mite eggs. What are the tell tale signs? One other note, how do I explain this, her vent kept opening and closing, is that normal if I'm looking in that area? I could also tell the vent must be poking open and shut when she's just standing there ( I hope you all know what I'm trying to explain. ) Moviment in her back end. So what about egg bound? Is that possible?

These are my first chickens so never dealt with much illness. I really hope we don't lose her, we lost one just 2 wks. ago suddenly in a hail storm, I think she had a heart attack. It was sudden and my daughter witnessed so I need to pull this one through.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
She's with the others in the run/coop but keeping to herself
Shavings for coop floor, hay in nest
Same feed
No animals.

Is the area shaded?
Can you hook up a fan so there is some cool air movement in the hen house?
Do you have a thermometer in there to tell you what the temp is inside the area? Hang it at hen level. If you have 90° temps outside, it could well be over 110° inside, if the building is not shaded.

I've noticed when it gets close to 85° our flock hangs out under a particular tree in our yard. So I usually wet the soil down a bit to help keep them cool. I also put a bowl of cold water under the tree, so they don't get dehydrated.

Keep an eye on her. Check her abdomen to see if you can feel an egg. Massage may help.

If it is heat, I wonder about bringing her in. If it is heat, being inside and cooler could help. Do you have someplace inside to put her? We have a dog crate which we use if someone needs TLC and used it as a brooder.

Here is a link to helping an egg bound hen. I am sure others will help you if that is indeed what it is.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?p=7288

Keep posting info. Put HELP! in big letters if you aren't getting responses. Okay?

She's inside our brooder now. I don't think it's heat. The coop is in shade from Noon on. Temps are much lower today and not too bad. I did finally see her poo and it was watery and slightly dark green. What do you suggest? I thought egg bound, but I can't tell. I felt around and there is nothing hard on her underbelly. She just sits there and doesn't move like she's hurting if she does move. There is no signs of foul play, or anything?
Due to the poo, should I start her on antibiotics? She does seem to be drinking a fair amount but not eating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom