The right eye (irregular shape of pupil, and faded color) looks similar to pictures of ocular Mareks, but the left eye looks very red and irritated. Only testing or a necropsy after death would confirm Mareks. How is your coop ventliation? Is there an ammonia odor from the droppings? Ammonia fumes can cause blindness. Hard to know why the eye is so red, but injury or fumes could be the problem. I would probably use some Terramycin or triple antibiotic ointment in the eye a couple of times daily for awhile. Have you seen any respiratory disease symptoms in your flock, or any other possible signs of Mareks disease?
No diseases in my flock. Any possible signs of Mareks no.
The right eye (irregular shape of pupil, and faded color) looks similar to pictures of ocular Mareks, but the left eye looks very red and irritated. Only testing or a necropsy after death would confirm Mareks. How is your coop ventliation? Is there an ammonia odor from the droppings? Ammonia fumes can cause blindness. Hard to know why the eye is so red, but injury or fumes could be the problem. I would probably use some Terramycin or triple antibiotic ointment in the eye a couple of times daily for awhile. Have you seen any respiratory disease symptoms in your flock, or any other possible signs of Mareks disease?
no respiratory disease symptoms in my flock nor no signs of Mareks. No Ammonia odor from the droppings. I definitely will be putting some ointment of some sort on her eyes though.

Forgot to mention the coop ventilation is good.

What type of injury did she suffer?

The right eye looks a bit mishappen. Could be from previous trauma or perhaps it's an indication of Ocular Marek's, hard to know.
There's no cure for Marek's, so if she's acting normal, eating/drinking/active, then I'd just keep watch on her.

Eyes a different color - again, could be due to the injury she suffered, disease like Marek's or even genetic.
I don’t know how to explain it so I’m sending pictures of her previous eye injury. After it was healed I noticed her right eye formed an odd shape afterwards. Or maybe that’s my imagination but I’m pretty sure that’s the case. Her eye was like this for about a week or so until it finally healed. (With medication from me.) I cannot remember what caused her eye to be injured but it was pretty bad and she closed her eyes a lot and was clearly hurt. This happened November 28 2021. I feel like her eye shape has gotten worse and also because I feel like I should’ve noticed if her eye color changed. This is why I thought I should see what’s wrong.

Attachments

• C101A4D9-82E6-4349-BDF8-0701E91199B0.jpeg
    C101A4D9-82E6-4349-BDF8-0701E91199B0.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 2
  • E6B184AB-C447-45D7-9E54-BBFCAFB25A5C.jpeg
    E6B184AB-C447-45D7-9E54-BBFCAFB25A5C.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 2
This mis-shaped pupil is what first got my attention.

@Avadrawzstuff is this how her eye appears, or is it distorted from the picture?
Her eye appears like that in real life generally. Like I said though her right eye has always kinda looked weird after her previous eye injury. She currently doesn’t seem to close her eyes and has not at all after I healed her eye. She acts very normal too so I really don’t know what’s going on..

Her eye appears like that in real life generally. Like I said though her right eye has always kinda looked weird after her previous eye injury. She currently doesn’t seem to close her eyes and has not at all after I healed her eye. She acts very normal too so I really don’t know what’s going on..
The best you can do is follow Wyorp and Eggcessesive suggestions for tx now, and just mindfully observe her and the rest of the flock - which it sounds like you already do. If you begin to see some more serious symptoms, the eye worsens or any other birds show similar symptoms, check back.

We also love to hear about things healing as well. So if her eye improves, we love to hear 😉😊

The best you can do is follow Wyorp and Eggcessesive suggestions for tx now, and just mindfully observe her and the rest of the flock - which it sounds like you already do. If you begin to see some more serious symptoms, the eye worsens or any other birds show similar symptoms, check back.

We also love to hear about things healing as well. So if her eye improves, we love to hear 😉😊
Will do! If her eye does or does not improve or just seems to be that way naturally for some reason I’ll let y’all know either way! I will do what I can! I’m out with my girls a lot so I should notice if anything else happens! Thank you!❤️

Back
Top Bottom