HELP! swollen eye but acting normal

Silkieworld

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
One of my silver laced wyandottes has a swollen eye! She is acting fine. No running nose or sneezing! I have 6 silkie chicks who are 11 weeks in the pen next to them so I am worried! What can I flush the eye out with? What is it??

One of my silver laced wyandottes has a swollen eye! She is acting fine. No running nose or sneezing! I have 6 silkie chicks who are 11 weeks in the pen next to them so I am worried! What can I flush the eye out with? What is it??
Do you have a picture?

You could try saltwater.

Thank you both!

What a lovely hen! In my experience I spray them with Vetricyn and they complain about getting wet and the next day their eye looks much better. If it gets much worse then it would be cause for concern but for now it doesn't look like anything but an injury near the eye from a peck or a loose piece of wire on a coop.

I have a question too and I'm new to the site so I'm not sure if I'm even putting the question in the right place but my question is can I put alcohol on the my new born chic umbilical cord to dry it up. Like you do newborn babies? It has been over 24 hours and it's hanging out about 2inches and it is not drying up.. A little blood coming out every now and then I finally did cut it off shorter and she's weak I do have her separated

Last edited:
I have a question too and I'm new to the site so I'm not sure if I'm even putting the question in the right place but my question is can I put alcohol on the my new born to chick to dry it up. Like you do newborn babies? It has been over 24 hours and it's hanging out about enter to and it is not drying up its took a blood coming out every now and then I finally did cut it off shorter and she's weak I do have her separated

Welcome to the BYC Forums. I am having a hard time interpreting your question(thanks for updating i understand now). I read something yesterday that mentioned putting a small amount of corn starch to stop bleeding but please forgive me I cant remember where i read that maybe the "Hatching 101 article" in the Learning center. Try the hatching 101 article it says exactly what to do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Last edited:
Thank you, I did read that too somewhere... This is also my 1st hatch and so far it's been fun and scary.. Lol.. I have some that I believe they are dead but they were alive at the 18 day. Not sure why or what I did but it is my first time.. I have 9 out of 16 and 2 that I believe are still going to hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom