Help! Tapeworm Segments or Something else??

Potterygal27

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2022
Hello! Posting because I’ve noticed these hard seed like things in my chickens poops recently (the poop is also covered in sand from their run) I had a fecal test done for worms/ parasites and it all came back negative but after some research I’m just not sure. One hen has not been acting like herself recently and I’m wondering if this could be related. Any thoughts on what this could be? Undigested seeds? Tapeworm segments? TIA

Attachments

• 7506246C-B57A-46E2-A546-5450C0BB235F.jpeg
    7506246C-B57A-46E2-A546-5450C0BB235F.jpeg
    834.7 KB · Views: 47
Can you remove those and try to smash them? They might be small pieces of grit that have been smoothed during passing through the gizzard. Here is a good video of moving tapeworm segments:

They do not smash hardly at all. They are very hard. They definitely do not move and don’t look like they are alive like in the video.

Last edited:
If they move, they may be tapes. If you think they are you can get some Equimax horse wormer paste, and give her 0.16 ml of that orally and repeat it in 14 days.

If they move, they may be tapes. If you think they are you can get some Equimax horse wormer paste, and give her 0.16 ml of that orally and repeat it in 14 days.
Wait. Mine move, I just treated with Sageguard equine paste. First I did just as you stated. They came back, someone said dose is pea size 1x daily for 5days. So three weeks later I just finished this 12/25. All looked clear yesterday & bam back again & yes they move like that video. My girls can't get any weight on. Now I'm told another drug for tapeworm, starts with a P.

Wait. Mine move, I just treated with Sageguard equine paste. First I did just as you stated. They came back, someone said dose is pea size 1x daily for 5days. So three weeks later I just finished this 12/25. All looked clear yesterday & bam back again & yes they move like that video. My girls can't get any weight on. Now I'm told another drug for tapeworm, starts with a P.
Safeguard Paste is FENBENDAZOLE!

You are trying to treat Tapeworms, so you need to use PRAZINQUANTEL! You have been given that information on your THREAD which can be found here::

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-with-worms.1607373/#post-27389206

Back
Top Bottom