HELP! the art of TREATS and getting back in the COOP

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mckngbrd, Jul 24, 2016.

1. mckngbrd

mckngbrd Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    I have 7 2 month old pullets. They have a very large run and coop which for the moment is where they stay- no free ranging as we can only let them roam when we can watch them (finicky landlord).

*Sometimes when it's dusk they seem to get agitated but just wont go inside, when i KNOW they just want to go to bed. When i try to herd them in they get even more upset...what to do. I do try and give them a special treat when they go inside at the end of day...but mostly they only like KALE. And often that doesn't lure them either.

*I cant for the life of me get them interested in anything but KALE. Not even meal worms. I need some better treat ideas!!!

Help and THANK YOU!

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I go into the coop and simply shake a canister of Quaker Oats to get my late partiers inside.
    They know the sound and love those oats!
    Give it a try!

1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    These are babies without any adults to show them the way. My birds love the scratch feed (mostly corn) and will come running for it. Start by using a special call when you offer a tiny amount, while they are in their run. You may be wanting them in too early; right now my birds go to bed at about 9:20pm! If the coop is too dark, or mice are running around in it, they may be fearful and need a bigger window or something. For a short time, a light in the coop at dusk could help them see the way in. Mary

4. mckngbrd

May 7, 2016
    great idea!

5. mckngbrd

May 7, 2016
    thanks mary!!!

6. mckngbrd

May 7, 2016
    the oats were a hit!