Help the newbie?

loneduck

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
As the tittle says, I need some advice.
I've read through a few threads but I'd like some direct advice for our situation.

A few weeks ago, my partner caught a coyote raiding a duck nest near his work. Both parents were killed and some eggs were ruined before my partner could chase the predator off. There were 4 eggs left intact and he decided to bring them home. We did as much research as we could, incubated them and crossed our fingers.
Turns out only one egg was viable, the little guy hatched 4 days ago and is doing rather well.
He's in a brooder, its at the right temp, food and water are going well.

So far we've done our best with all the different (often conflicting) information we could get.

The original plan was to release the ducks once they were old enough but now there is only one duck. And my partner has become very attached. Honestly it's no surprise, all our pets have been rescues.

I'm concerned because little Jayne has no other ducks... I've tried to putting a stuffy in with him (an angry bird funny enough) and I'm trying to find a mirror to put in with him as well. He's in an area where he wont be bothered too much but still sees the home traffic. We have a busy household so I can't spend all my time with him. But he's peeping and jumping around a lot and I'm so worried it means he's unhappy... I read somewhere that ducklings that become too lonely will actually suicide? It also looks like other ducks wouldn't except him if we were to give him to some sort of rescue place?

I honestly believe the duckling has imprinted on my partner also, which would likely mean that releasing Jayne may not be an option.

So I wasn't ready to have a pet duck, I'd like to give a try but I just don't know what to do... Are we doing the right things?

Once it's imprinted on you there is no way to release it into the wild. I have a lone house duck, she's still young but since she has constant contact with people, she doesn't get lonely. Somehow I doubt you want to keep your duck inside 24/7 wearing diapers, so if you want to house her in a coop outdoors then you're gonna need to get it a buddy. A lonely duck won't kill itself, but it may refuse food or water out of depression. It's really sad. :(

Also, check out your state laws regarding owning wildlife, here in WA you can't own any indigenous species as pets, even with a permit. Best of luck to you and your new baby, it's really hard not to fall in love with these little ones!

I don't have ducks, chickens are our bird of choice (at least for now). But if ducks are anything like chickens, they need the companionship of other birds. Would it be doable for you to get another duck about the same age to keep him company?

Welcome to BYC! Releasing him isn't a good idea. I'd either try and get another duckling or give him to a rescue or sanctuary. If you can give him to a wildlife rehab and maybe they'll be able to rehabilitate your duckling so he can be set free. Hope this helps!

As the tittle says, I need some advice.
I've read through a few threads but I'd like some direct advice for our situation.

A few weeks ago, my partner caught a coyote raiding a duck nest near his work. Both parents were killed and some eggs were ruined before my partner could chase the predator off. There were 4 eggs left intact and he decided to bring them home. We did as much research as we could, incubated them and crossed our fingers.
Turns out only one egg was viable, the little guy hatched 4 days ago and is doing rather well.
He's in a brooder, its at the right temp, food and water are going well.

So far we've done our best with all the different (often conflicting) information we could get.

The original plan was to release the ducks once they were old enough but now there is only one duck. And my partner has become very attached. Honestly it's no surprise, all our pets have been rescues.

I'm concerned because little Jayne has no other ducks... I've tried to putting a stuffy in with him (an angry bird funny enough) and I'm trying to find a mirror to put in with him as well. He's in an area where he wont be bothered too much but still sees the home traffic. We have a busy household so I can't spend all my time with him. But he's peeping and jumping around a lot and I'm so worried it means he's unhappy... I read somewhere that ducklings that become too lonely will actually suicide? It also looks like other ducks wouldn't except him if we were to give him to some sort of rescue place?

I honestly believe the duckling has imprinted on my partner also, which would likely mean that releasing Jayne may not be an option.

So I wasn't ready to have a pet duck, I'd like to give a try but I just don't know what to do... Are we doing the right things?
Welcome to BYC, and it sounds like you have done your homework but here is a bit more info that may cover something you don't know
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 your probably right about lil Jayne imprinting on your partner they imprint on what they see first.after hatch. If this is a wild duck and most likely it is maybe you could at least call any rehabbers close by that can give you some info about how to care for a wild duckling, and then if you feel you can't keep it they maybe able to rehab it back to the wild eventually. I don't think ducklings that are lonely commit suicide but they can get awfully lonely which means you and partner need to spend alot of time with her. Please keep us updated and post pics when you can. Do you think she is a Mallard?

Thanks everyone,
I was getting scared/anxious that we weren't on the right track. I feel better. My partner has mentioned the possibility of getting another duckling, we just aren't sure of the how and such.

To answer Miss Lydia, I think it's a Mallard. This was Jayne at about 24hrs old. He loves to cuddle.

Thanks everyone,
I was getting scared/anxious that we weren't on the right track. I feel better. My partner has mentioned the possibility of getting another duckling, we just aren't sure of the how and such.

To answer Miss Lydia, I think it's a Mallard. This was Jayne at about 24hrs old. He loves to cuddle.

Awww, Jayne! <3 Wobbles just hit her Terrible Twos, and haaaates being picked up now! She's also developed a fascination with attacking my pillowcase. And has discovered laser pointers. Ducks are so silly.
roll.png

Thanks everyone,

What a sweet face. you might be able to find a friend for Jayne on Craigslist or at your farm store. ask around.

Back
Top Bottom