Help...there is something wrong with my frizzle!!!

BiggKountry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
My frizzle cochin is messed up. I thought she was broody because she was by herself and has become VERY aggressive. I went out today to check on them and I noticed her face like this:

28216_img_1012.jpg

Can anybody help me identify the problem......

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Looks like Fowl Pox although with the cloudy eye that makes me think of Mareks. That doesn't look comfortable for her. I'd google both and they have some meds for it. Good luck!

T

Quote:
Looks like Fowl Pox although with the cloudy eye that makes me think of Mareks. That doesn't look comfortable for her. I'd google both and they have some meds for it. Good luck!

T

I have a flock of three chickens. If the other chickens are infected, but are showing no signs, are the eggs that are being laid safe to eat?

Yes, it looks like Fowl Pox. I can't remember what is needed to treat it, but make sure to separate any birds showing symptoms as soon as possible. It is spread by mosquitos, so be sure to eliminate any sources of standing water and you may want to put up a sprayer for the chicken yard (be sure it's safe for animals first).

A great source book for all chicken owners is "A chicken health handbook" by Gail Damerow. Great reference for chickens.

This is what it says on Pox: (picture looks just like your girl with scabbing ect)

Common in some areas worldwide , especiall in confined flocks in cold weather.
incubation is 4-14 days
systems affected- skin
progression- slow, lasts 3-4 weeks in individual birds
symptoms are as your girls shows: birds of all ages except newly hatched chicks, raised or clear bumps on comb/wattles that grow larger and turn yellowish then become brown, grey or black bleeding scabs that fall off to form scars with scabs sometimes all over the head, neck and unfeathers ed areas.
Mortality is 1-2 percent.
Lab can confirm
cause: virus that affects wide variety of birds. can survive months on scabs and feathers of infected birds.
transmission is through skin wounds of all types, mosquitos, mites and wild birds.
no treatment available except vaccination of newly hatched chicks. Isolate infected birds, remove any scabs impeding on seeing and eating, prevent secondary infection via Terramycin for 3 days. Infected birds naturally recover in 2-4 weeks and are immune but can be carriers and may show signs again if under stress. Thouroughly clean housing/pens of scabs to prevent re-infection.
No human health risk and not the same as human "chicken pox".

t

Back
Top Bottom