HELP! Theres something wrong with Smudge!

Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have no idea whats going on. I found her tonight after trick or treating flopped on her side, flapping her wings, but she can't use her legs. She has what looks like egg white or wet stool on her back feathers, and she's pulsing her vent. I believe its egg related. Those who don't know who Smudge is, she's one of my two pet Cornish X hens. They've been eating about 1/2 cup of flock raiser a day each, and ready to lay at any time. I haven't offered OS yet, and honestly I have no idea why. :(
She can't stand, her pupils are huge, and she's closing her eyes, I'm terrified she wont make it through the night. This had to have happened today, we left for tricker treating and such at 1 pm, and didn't get back until now. It could have happened anytime between then and now. I can set her up in the shop, but I don't have any antibiotics on hand, or anything like that. I didn't see any signs of eggs in the run, no shells, nothing.
What should I do? Its 8:00, is there anything I can do until morning? Thanks for any suggestions, I hope I can help her.

Update: I just went out to check on her. She's currently in the garage in a box of straw. I tried to feed her some dinner, and she was willing to eat, not sure how much that matters her being a meat bird. She also couldn't see. I had to put her beak in my hand of food to help her eat it. She was snapping at the air trying to find my hand. I'll see if I can get her to drink. I know egg binding can cause paralysis, could this be egg binding? I'm concerned it may be egg yolk pertonosis with the wet white stool, but may set her up in the steamy bathroom just in case.

Since this came on all of a sudden, I would suspect toxic poisoning. Could someone have tossed something into the run that happened to be passing by? Could she have come into contact with insecticide or rodent poison or wasp spray?
Their shouldn't have been anything on the property, the only things we tossed into the run realty were pumpkin seeds/pulp, but I'm not even sure if they go any because their in a separate run. I did realty replenish the shavings, could they have ingested to many of those thinking it was food? They are meat birds. It was about a week ago that I did that though. The only other things in the run are two metal dog dishes, and the waterer.
We don't use rat poisoning or insecticide, so unless someone else did, (which I highly doubt) I don't think thats very likely.

Hey, @Weeg. Sorry I have no answers, love and prayers for your chicken and for you, I hope someone who has answers comes to your aid ASAP :hugs
Thank you. I'm just so glad she was willing to eat, she isn't giving up yet. She also responded to my name, and seems much happier now that she's proper upright and not stuck on her side. I thought she got caught in the wire somehow when I found her.

Please try to remain calm. Her survival may depend on it. The #1 first priority is heat. She needs to be moved to a calm, warm environment.

She may have obturator paralysis (temporary paralysis related to her egg issue, if she is having trouble laying.)
She might be flapping her wings trying to right herself (get herself upright). Can you gently help prop her up into an upright position?

If you can get her to drink fluids, that would be great. If she were mine, I’d probably pop a calcium citrate plus D3 into her beak. It might help her muscle contractions with passing the egg. You might also insert a gloved, lubricated finger into her vent and feel for an egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom