help- thinking of getting a rollaway nest box- bestnestbox or hengear

lindy

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Oregon
these are the two that look very similar.
the bestnest box is $215 for the med 24" at 22 pounds
differences i can tell you- has an egg guard, wire mesh where collection is,

and the hengear is $195 at 24 inch long and 25pounds.
differences i can see- the back moves for easy of cleaning
so both about the same price. anyone have these that can tell me how you like them. The bestnest box also has a small one for $175 its 17 inches long, not sure if that is too small for 10 hens

its alot better, but i think i have an egg eater, i thought it would keep the eggs much cleaner too. getting 5-6 eggs for 11 hens.

why did you decide on that one? do you have photos of it by chance and without the mat on
No but I can take some with the mat out and the egg tray open in the morning. I liked the Best for not having a mat that the eggs came to rest on that could hold debris. The 1" shiny steel grid lets junk fall through adding an extra layer of protection for cleaner eggs. I can't fault the other brand by any means. I believe that they both work. I know mine works.

I've had the Hengear 24" for about five years now. It's performed quite well, certainly no issues with the design or function of it. I just started out with it - wasn't trying to solve and egg eating problem, but being new to having chickens, just wanted to eliminate one possible issue that you could have.

The astro-turf nesting pad can collect droppings from them either being in there during laying, or if they sneak in and roost in it. Cleaning the pad isn't hard, but it isn't my favorite chore as gunk works its way down in there and can be a bit of a pain to clear out. You only make the mistake of going to long without cleaning it once.

I'm not completely sure I'd get one again in the future. It's certainly no fault of the design or build quality in any way. It just seems it'd be quicker an easier to clean a "standard" nest box where you just change out the bedding and continue on. The pads I end up scrubbing in warm soapy water to sanitize and get clean, and that is more of a time investment.

Why do you want to get a roll away nest box? Are you having problems with your hens eating eggs?
It's not always because they eat their own eggs. Sometimes they poop on them and to keep you from having to clean them this help out tons. The less you have to handle them (cleaning) the less the protective film the have gets removed. It also helps so that the hens don't get broody. They want to become moms. So when they get up to go eat, the egg rolls away and they don't go back and sit. Less breakage too.

From now on I'm installing the rollout boxes so I can collect the eggs from the outside of the coop.
That is a good and maybe a little bad thing. I know you probably already do this but if you go in (unless it is one of those tiny coops) due to having them roll inside, it gives you the opportunity to check and maybe clean the nest boxes. Also it will keep the eggs cooler. If the collection point is outside in the sun that may not be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom