Help this newbie

Well hubby is putting coop together now. Sadly the chick with the wound was found worse this morning. It began to affect the way the chick was hopping..Per advise from a fellow chicken owner i did the humane thing and ended its suffering. A first for me in my life time. As sad as this is. I feel better knowing there isnt a hurt animal under my care. I know it is normal and common to lose chicks..I prepared the children as best as i could last night. My seven year old had a cute comment. "Will he go to chicken heaven?" I said yes, pet heaven, he will be with Neko (our recently lost cat). Mallory said "Do cats and chicks get along in heaven?" Of course they do honey!

Meh, 21 last night and they're still fine. It's toasty under the lamp and the brooding coop may be uninsulated but it is draft-free. I did swap their light from 100 to 175W knowing that it would be cold last night but I'll switch it back before we get another 70-degree day because it's too warm then.

Well hubby is putting coop together now. Sadly the chick with the wound was found worse this morning. It began to affect the way the chick was hopping..Per advise from a fellow chicken owner i did the humane thing and ended its suffering. A first for me in my life time. As sad as this is. I feel better knowing there isnt a hurt animal under my care. I know it is normal and common to lose chicks..I prepared the children as best as i could last night. My seven year old had a cute comment. "Will he go to chicken heaven?" I said yes, pet heaven, he will be with Neko (our recently lost cat). Mallory said "Do cats and chicks get along in heaven?" Of course they do honey!

I'm sorry to hear that the chick didn't make it but glad you helped end its suffering.

Last edited:
We put them out in our nice coop. It's actually perfectly warm in there. They are walking about and happy. Thank you guys for all the advice

Back
Top Bottom