Help to hatch? Do I? Update: Final count!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmaddie's mom, Oct 18, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mommy has hatched 9 beautiful babies over 2 days time, the last about 26 hours ago. Today she left the nest with the 9 and left one pipping and 3 other eggs. I was gone and just got home. The baby pipping is alive but cold. I placed it in a shoe box with a damp paper towel over it. I have no heat light but have placed a warm micro-wave heat pack around the box trying to bring up the warmth. What next? Do I help it out? Half way? it is peeping! just tired and cold I think? If I can get it hatched I'm sure I could add it to the nest tonight without her realizing it. Open for suggestions...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

Temp about 85 in the box...

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

New hatchlings need 95 degrees minimum. Closer to 99 the first 3 days. Raise that temp!

Other than that, I really, really have no other suggestions. Sorry~

4. mmaddie's mom

Thanks... trying!

5. mmaddie's mom

It's out of the shell and trying to lift up it's head... temp is up to 100 in the box. Hoping to be able to put it with mommy tonight when she takes the others in to bed... put the other quiet eggs in the box with it but don't know if there is any hope for them... maybe they will go back under mom tonight also?

6. mmaddie's mom

hatched baby is back under mom and doing well... will candle 3 other eggs later and see what is going on with them.

7. mmaddie's mom

movement in 2 eggs and i can hear peeping! hope they hatch under her tonight!

8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] Congrats on the babies, what breed are they?

9. mmaddie's mom

Thanks... just mutt babies but I love them. [​IMG]

10. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    Are these the same babies that are your lost roo's? Or Grandbabies maybe? This is exciting. I still can't believe you got that many fertile eggs for the roo being gone so long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by