1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help too Hot?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jerwanman, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jerwanman

jerwanman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    We have a somewhat warm day today. The incubater has been running 100.5 fan driven. For one week and one day. Today i came home from work and the temp was 102 and hum was 38 i did add water. The hum is rising .... Do I need to start over. My gan kids will feel so bad.

Thanks
    Jerry

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

It's probably ok, just open the lid a little if you need to. An incubator with a fan usually runs at 99.5.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My incubator run between 99 - 100. It has gone up to 102 and I just open the lid for a couple of seconds or so. In a few minutes it will settle out. Some sites I've been on incubate up to 102. I wouldn't worry. Soon you will probably candle them. I candle mine at day 10. I don't worry about opening the incubator to candle the eggs. When a hen incubates her eggs she gets off her nest once in awhile.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Mine is a still air bator but I had it hike up to 104 on day 2 of incubating and all of the eggs are still developing along fine, I fixed the temp problem as soon as I seen it. I would say it was that hot for almost 10 to 11 hours. I candled them today and all 8 were just bouncing all over the place in the eggs, very very active! 102 for a day shouldn't really hurt them any.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by