Help! Treating multiple issues at once? Worms and Coccidia

ruca3144

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Carroll County, MD
I need some guidance here! I recently lost a Silkie and just got some additional testing back from her necropsy - Coccidia and a heavy load of capillaria! I want to nip this immediately! No one else in my flock is showing any signs, but I am a little suspicious of my 8.5 yo. I also have 2 or 3 that are currently molting.

Here’s my question:
Can I treat both issues at the same time? I know for coccidia, I can put CORID in their water. For dewormer, I’d prefer that option as well (Safeguard liquid in water) since a few of my girls are tough to handle. But I will do whatever I have to!

Please let me know any recommendation on how I can get my girls healthy again!

Yes, you can treat for both at once.
Having said that, what I don't know about poultry illness and injury would fill books (and does)! I know just enough to know where (and mostly when) to look for info.

Its my recollection that the real experts on these matters here on BYC recommend dosing birds individually for worms, rather than attempting to treat through the water source.
As with any creature, worms, bacteria, and the like are opportunistic - when the host body is weakened by an existing infection with one thing, its much easier for other parasites to take hold. Sort of like us humans going to the Dr./Hospital because of illness and ending up with a secondary exposure. Just life sometimes.

Hopefully, @Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock or @Overo Mare will step in with dosing instructions, or you can use the search engine here to check this ofrum for one of their posts on capillaria or deworming in general. I'm on my cell phone, its much more diffcult, or I'd have linked for you rather than invoking their attention.

For coccidiosis, use Corid liquid 10 ml (2 tsp) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. Wormers such as SafeGuard or Valbazen should be used orally for each chicken. Safeguard 10% dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given orally once for 5 consecutive days. So a 5 pound chicken would get 1.25 ml. That will treat capillary worms as well as roundworms, cecal, and gapeworms. How many chickens do you have? Make sure that you coop bedding is dry, and add bedding as needed. The more obvious droppings around their area that you pick up, the better. Sorry for your loss.

For coccidiosis, use Corid liquid 10 ml (2 tsp) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. Wormers such as SafeGuard or Valbazen should be used orally for each chicken. Safeguard 10% dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given orally once for 5 consecutive days. So a 5 pound chicken would get 1.25 ml. That will treat capillary worms as well as roundworms, cecal, and gapeworms. How many chickens do you have? Make sure that you coop bedding is dry, and add bedding as needed. The more obvious droppings around their area that you pick up, the better. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you! I did go ahead and begin treating with Safeguard orally yesterday based on their weight. That was quite the task and I had to use the bread method for a few of them- but it worked and We got through it. 4 days to go! Am I done after the 5 days, or do I need to retreat again later? I’ve read different things and it’s a little confusing.

I only have 9 chickens. We’re pretty good with keeping up with the bedding/cleaning but I’m going to step that up even more now. The run is what I hate the most - playground wood chips is what we’ve been using in there.

^^^^ and that's why I love BYC. Thank you very much @Eggcessive! :goodpost:
Me too! They’ve helped me so much on here!

I agree about the secondary issue comment. It seems like she just got hit with a double dose of problems. Thankfully none of my others are showing any sort of signs for either issue. Obviously I’m still treating them anyway - I know they can hide their illnesses well.

I did go ahead and begin treating with Safeguard orally yesterday based on their weight. That was quite the task and I had to use the bread method for a few of them- but it worked and We got through it. 4 days to go! Am I done after the 5 days, or do I need to retreat again later? I’ve read different things and it’s a little confusing.
Safeguard for 5 days in a row, no repeat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom