Help! Turner broke!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, Mar 14, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    My automatic egg turner was working fine this week with my duck eggs, but yesterday I added in chicken eggs, and now it's not turning! I found that if I unattach it from the motor, I can turn the racks by hand. Would turning the racks like that (like an auto turner normally works) for times a day by hand be enough?

Also, would it be better to keep doing that, or buy a new turner? Would it cool too much by me taking the time to switch all the eggs to a new turner and putting them back in?

Help please!

Angela

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I, personally, would just go ahead and manually turn the turners. however, if you prefer to get a new one, I would say it could be switched out quickly enough not to be a problem. Good luck!!!!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree, it wouldn't hurt them at all to turn them like that. My turner motor quit this week also, and that's what I'm doing with mine.

I wouldn't buy a completely new turner, you can get a replacement motor for them, and the motors don't cost quite as much as the whole turner does. I am not able to buy a whole new turner atm, so hand turning is what I'll have to do for a while. [​IMG]

4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    My main concern with hand turning is my crazy work schedule. I turned them at 2am before bed, but they didnt get turned again until a little while ago, when I woke up.I can turn them once more before I leave at 4, and once when I get home at 4 am.... but that's not 4 times a day. Will it be enough??

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    You don't want to turn them an even number, always an odd. That way they won't be on the same side every night. 3 times is good if that's all you can do. GOOD LUCK!!!![​IMG]

6. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    P.S I hand turn, and I love it!!!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    What I had done when my turner went out, I leave the eggs in the turner and tip the bator by inserting a small piece of board on the bottom and then tip it all four sides of the bator three times a day. Worked for me until I got a new motor for my turner.

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'm kind of freaking because I have over a $100's worth of eggs in there. I think I will go to the farm store today and buy one if they have it. Then I will buy a motor for the broke one if hubby can't fix it, so I have a spare. A spare, who am I kidding? So then I can have two bators going at once LOL!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Sounds like pure brilliance!!!!! Or addiction....I think. LOL

I gotta admit, I LOVE hand turning my eggs, too, Farm Frenzy. [​IMG] It makes me (can't believe I am going to say this) feel closer to them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by