Desinrgene

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2020
We have a year old Black Australop mix hen a week ago she was falling over, her neck was flopping over to the left and she couldn't hold her head up. One of her ear lobes is red the other is shabby and unhealthy looking. I can't tell if she has bumblefoot or if she just has weird feet. I don't see any sores anywhere.
20230529_161847.jpg
20230529_161747.jpg
20230529_161734.jpg
20230529_161652.jpg
20230529_161645.jpg
20230529_161631.jpg
20230529_161625.jpg
20230529_161616.jpg
20230529_161608.jpg
20230529_161550.jpg
Her vent is clean not sure about her poop as she is still in gen pop. We have treated with broad range antibiotics for 10 days

She is eating 18% nutrena crumbles and drinking plenty of water. Also has access to grit, oyster shells and mealworms.
My birds were free range until a fox found them so they are now in a large run with sawdust base, coop bedding is hay (we have horses) we were giving vitamins and apple cider vinegar water but stopped that while she was on antibiotics.

She spends most of her day by herself wimeal worms. the ground. She has not lost any weight. I don't know what to do to help her.

Poor thing!
For her neck issue it sounds like wry neck. I'd treat her for that with vitamin E 400IU daily along with eggs for selenium.
I'm not too sure about her earlobes, does she try and scratch them at all? Do they bother her?
She does have bumble foot on both feet it looks like, I'd soak both feet to soften the scabs, and then try pulling them out.

Poor thing!
For her neck issue it sounds like wry neck. I'd treat her for that with vitamin E 400IU daily along with eggs for selenium.
I'm not too sure about her earlobes, does she try and scratch them at all? Do they bother her?
She does have bumble foot on both feet it looks like, I'd soak both feet to soften the scabs, and then try pulling them out.
I'm probably gonna sound dumb. I've never used Vitamin e Where do I get it? How much and how do I feed it?

Poor thing!
We have been blessed with healthy chickens until now. So I've never dealt with bumble foot Only know what I've read online, and every site has a different opinion. Epsom salt and warm water soak.

I can't speak for the neck or ear issues, but that is definitely bumblefoot on her feet.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection, so the sooner you can treat that the better her own immune system can target the other issues.

As has been mentioned, a warm (not hot!) soak will help soften the black scab of the bumblefoot, and allow you to gently pry it away. If you don't have Epsom salts, a soak in plain warm water is fine. But you will want to ensure you have something to clean out the core area of the bumblefoot.

My go-to is Vetericyn first, Blu-Kote second, but iodine and non-pain reliever neosporin will also help.

But that bumblefoot needs to be treated asap.

I'm probably gonna sound dumb. I've never used Vitamin e Where do I get it?
You can get it at a pharmacy, online, and probably your grocery store too.
How much and how do I feed it?
They usually come in softgels, so just one of those once a day. All you have to do is pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow.

Back
Top Bottom