1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help us identify the predator***Graphic descrption***

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Roy Rooster, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

We had a casualty this morning. I went out to check on the ladies mid morning and found one of our 6 week
    old BO chicks dead. Her had was ripped of,f one wing, and most of her innerds were eaten away. The feathers and
    legs was about all that was left. Does anyone know what animal could have done this to her?

Any help with identification would be great.

Thanks,

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rats sometimes attack young chicks, as well as eggs. What is the place where you are keeping the chicks like?

3. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    Racoons, I would think. They enjoy the heads and guts, but not much else. At least in my experience.

4. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thank you so much. I was thinking possibly a raccoon or other small animal.

Here is a pic of our coop and pen. The chick was found outside the pen area. I think she got out
    sometime during the day. When we got home late after dark she had found another place to roost.
    I over looked her when I did my search of the backyard and she was attacked during the night.

I found her in the morning. The raccoon did not get into the pen or coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi, Thanks for your reply.
    That is pretty much what was eaten out of her.
    All that was left was the feet, back, and a bunch of feathers.

Thanks, I am pretty sure that it was a raccoon that got her.

6. powvachicks

powvachicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Sorry to hear about your loss! Sounds like a raccoon to me, we had one get in our coop about 2 weeks ago and kill several. Same deal, heads gone and guts eaten. We set a trap and caught him the very next night. Lowes has a trap for 50 bucks.

7. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    You need to add 2 feet of 1/2" hardware cloth to your run. That is the only way you can keep a raccoon from grabbing a chick through the wire. They will some times eat a chicken through the wire. You have to prevent their hands from being able to access the run. A 2 foot high addition of 1/2" hardware cloth to your run should do the trick. So sorry for the loss of your chick. :(

8. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thank you so much for the tip. Luckly the raccoon did not eat the chick threw the wire. The chick got out some how
    and I failed to see her when I put the other girls to bed. By the time I got home she had found another place to roost and I
    overlooked her. By morning she was all over the back yard. I felt so bad, but I learned my lesson. Make sure that you do a hen
    count before locking up for the night,

We will add the hardware cloth. Hopefully that should keep any other chicks from getting out.

9. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Opossum will do the same thing had it happen the other night.

10. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thanks. I am sorry about your loss too. Guess it is that time of year to keep an extra watchful eye on our flocks.
    Thanks again for your post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by