Help! Vent Prolapse

csfarm

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
Help!!
*warning graphic photo*

I have a hen who has a vent prolapse. It looks like the tissue is dying. Is there anything I can do or do I need to cull her?
I’ve soaked her in epsom salt and tried oil, honey, and sugar on it. It went in the first day but came back out, and now it won’t go in at all. It feels like it’s scabbing and getting hard.
Please, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• CE859881-EA82-46CE-8B0F-3D0486BF8D63.jpeg
    CE859881-EA82-46CE-8B0F-3D0486BF8D63.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 85
Have you kept the red prolapse tissue moist since it happened? Give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D, or a Tums orally. I would apply honey, vaseline, plain antibiotic ointment, or hydrocortisone cream during the day to keep it moistened. If it dries out it will become necrotic. Keep trying to push it back inside often. Hold it there for a few minutes, and try again later. A daily warm soak (or more often) to keep her bent area clean and to remove droppings is needed. That can help to soak off any dried scab or necrotic tissue. Is she pooping normal droppings, or just white urates? Is she eating and drinking?

Help!!
*warning graphic photo*

I have a hen who has a vent prolapse. It looks like the tissue is dying. Is there anything I can do or do I need to cull her?
I’ve soaked her in epsom salt and tried oil, honey, and sugar on it. It went in the first day but came back out, and now it won’t go in at all. It feels like it’s scabbing and getting hard.
Please, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry you both are facing this. :(

Is she actively laying eggs or just droppings is causing this? what is her age? Can you tell if there's anything stuck (or twisted) inside the prolapsed tissue?

Her skin condition.. the swollen feather follicles and and angry redness says you may have parasites of some sort. Doesn't seem like it's caused by the prolapse or bathing to me. Are you in the US?

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

She laid an egg the second day I had her inside. Could something else be stuck then? She seems to be pooping more than just white stuff, but small amounts.
It looks like it’s turning purple and scabbing. I can keep it moist and try those things.
If it is necrotic, is there any coming back from that? Can the tissue heal if it goes back in? Do I need to get the scabbed part off?
I physically can not put it back in now. It seems like it’s too swollen and hard. I got it in the first day but it didn’t stay in.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry you both are facing this. :(

Is she actively laying eggs or just droppings is causing this? what is her age? Can you tell if there's anything stuck (or twisted) inside the prolapsed tissue?

Her skin condition.. the swollen feather follicles and and angry redness says you may have parasites of some sort. Doesn't seem like it's caused by the prolapse or bathing to me. Are you in the US?

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl
I think it started from a large egg but she laid an egg the second day I had her inside treating the prolapse. It stayed in after that and I put her back with the others. The next morning it was back out so I brought her back in. I couldn’t get it pushed back in at all that time and haven’t been able to since. It looks like the tissue is dying and I don’t know what to do. Can it heal?
She is consistently pooping, not laying any more eggs. I can check for parasites. She doesn’t have a lot of feathers on the top from rooster mating but she is also wet from a bath in this photo. I thought the redness was from the straining of her vent. I am in the US.
Thank you for your reply.

Here’s another photo to show to discoloration. It’s not quite as dark as it looks in the photo but it’s turning hard and purple and looks like a scab. Can it fall off?

Attachments

• 69906593-32B9-417D-9AAF-25C0DB53F0B6.jpeg
    69906593-32B9-417D-9AAF-25C0DB53F0B6.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 19
There could be viable pink tissue below this dark tissue. I would give warm soaks and gently rub on the tissue toward the end of the soak time. If you see blood, then there probably is living tissue. This is known as debriding a wound. Coat it in plain Neosporin afterward. Sometimes necrotic tissue may come off on it‘s own after a few days to a week. There are so many prolapse threads posted here, and reading some could be helpful.

Egg binding due to having a shell-less egg or having 2 large eggs close together can cause straining and a prolapse. Holding an egg waiting for a nest box may also occur. Straining to poop from constipation may also be a cause.

Thank you all so much for your help! I wanted to update everyone on how my chicken is doing.
I gave her two one-hour baths each day for about 5 days. At the end of each bath I would lightly rub her vent to see if I could get any of the crusty bits off. It slowly started to peel off with each bath. After I dried her off, I coated her vent with Cortizone cream. I also gave her a tums dissolved in water to help anything pass (nothing did) and a homeopathic remedy called Pulsatilla. Yesterday her vent was small enough for me to push it back in. I put it in twice yesterday and it stayed in overnight! I am thrilled that this worked. I am so thankful to all of you for giving me hope that I could help her. I will continue to monitor for a few days, but I am confident she will be able to rejoin her flock soon. :)
Thank you again, so much!

Back
Top Bottom