rosemarysugar

Songster
Mar 1, 2018
Meeker, Colorado
So it has snowed about 10 inches and my chickens are not taking to it very well. They have shelter outside in their yard and a coop so they do have shelter. But...somehow a dusting of snow ALWAYS gets in the coop and the shelter. But anyway temps are about 15 during the day and -7 during the night and some of my birds are in a very bad molt but I don't know what to do?!! When I go outside they are always shaking and just look like they are going to freeze?!!? It got so bad that I but a heat lamp under there shelter ( the shelter is dirt there is no danger) and a board chicken coop heater in the coop and they are still freezing??! What can I do to help them?? I actually worry about them freezing, and there is snow getting into the coop and their shelter??! PLEASE HELP!

Same boat here.

Do what you can to keep the snow out and ventilation clear.
The wrapped run will act as a greenhouse so definitely keep a gap near the top to let extra heat out.

We should be warming up tomorrow. :hugs

Can you post pictures of where the snow is getting in so we can help figure it out for you?

It is normal for birds to shiver and look cold when there are sudden temperature drops. They can take some time to acclimate to the new temperatures. Providing wind breaks are important. Don't wrap them up too tight as chick needs good ventilation.

Chickens burn hot. Even when molting they can be okay. Watch for birds that seem shocky, they may need help. Otherwise shivering is nature's way of producing heat, as well as sitting hunched up. They will acclimate and be fine until the next temperature drop when they will do the same all over again.

Back
Top Bottom