HELP VERY SICK 2 YEAR OLD CHICKEN

rir264

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Plant City, Florida
When I went to my coop this morning and noticed several droppings that had a lot of white urates about three (I do not know if they are hers or not), then I noticed on of my Red Sussex in the nesting box but she didn't look right so I took her out and at first I thought she was alright because she got fisty. when I put her down she was having trouble standing and her wings are out and down away from her body she is not eating or drinking although her acts like she wants to. Her eyes are bright when they are open she wants to sleep alot, I checked her bottom and it is clean and free of any debris, she does not have an egg waiting to come out, she does not have a fever. no facial discharge of any kind. She has not had a stool yet, but she is separated from the flock as a precaution. It has been very hot here yesterday it was 95 with a dew point of 74 but everyone was fine they all have been drinking more than usual I figure that is because it has been so hot. Yesterday she was perfectly NORMAL! Please any suggestions?

what does her crop feel like? Was it empty this morning? When did you deworm? If you don't feel egg and rule out being egg bound, then my best guess is crop/digestive issues. They can get crop bound at that age where muscles have stretched over their life time. Also worms can cause intestinal blockage.

With sick birds I do not feed anything until crop is empty and i see some poo indicating stuff going through digestive tract. Instead I encourage them to drink and use eye dropper or even tube if needed. They can go a couple days without food, no problem. But, keep fluid going! ByC has most excellent article on crop issues.

Once I determine crop and digestive tract OK, then I can feed bird.

Her croup is empty and I feel no obstructions, it feel empty and pliable I even felt another bird just to make sure that they feel approximately the same as the other bird has eaten. As far as digestive I wormed them about six months ago, I have not seen any worms or worm segments and trust me I look because as we know their poo is the window of there health. I did not have any stool issues until day before yesterday after it had gotten so hot here and they started drinking so much more than normal I just contributed it to the heat.

UPDATE: She just expelled a soft stinky egg! That is why I couldn't feel the egg was because it was soft. I have been feeding the Purina layena Oyster strong food in fact I was doing the Purina challenge, The production of eggs has slowed down to a crawl. My birds have been laying very well up to this point. I have had some wrinkled eggs and the over all feel of my eggs have changed and I don't think it's for the best, now this, I am going to have to changed back to the dumor that I was feeding before and had no egg problem.

So very glad to hear, I hope this was cause and not a symptom. Keep us informed. I noticed changes when
I tried the feed, too. Went back to what I had been doing. Maybe for birds that are not free ranged, it might be OK?
My birds free range, have oyster shell and granite grit free choice. I feed turkey/gamebird crumbles, oats, wild bird seed mix.

I was just out in the coup and she is up on her feet now. Hopefully she will be ok just need to figure out why she had the nasty stinky egg. Thank to all who replied so promptly. It is so nice and refreshing to have a great group of folks so willing to share their knowledge to all of us who are newer. Again thanks

Back
Top Bottom