Help w Muscovy duck eggs! First timer...

red1leah

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 11, 2016
Hi everyone! I'm VERY new to this! Please have patience with me.
1f615.png

I'm a first time Muscovy duck "hatcher" and really need your advice! We live on a golf course and had a Muscovy duck lay 3 eggs in the mulch up against our home. She left them and didn't come back... I took them in and researched. Made a homemade incubator and have been deligent in trying to follow the instructions I found online. One egg stopped growing at day 22; discarded. The other two are on day 27 today. I candled yesterday and all was good- air cells looked great, rest of egg was very dark but I could make out blood vessels and saw movement. Eggs have been "rocking" on their own last couple days. I've got them at a still air temp of 99-100 and humidity was between 45-55%. Today, I candled them and both have movement however they now have lighter areas at the narrow end of the eggs. In one, I now see yellowish fluid with blood vessels ... They are still moving around. There are no beaks showing in air cell.... But in all I'm reading or seeing online, I don't see anyone speak of this narrow ended scenario. Is my humidity too low and the membranes are shrinking? I read a thread online where it was suggested to mist the eggs w warm water... I've been placing a warm, damp cloth on them about 2-3 times a day for a few mins since about day 15... I read to do that somewhere... I upped the humidity today and it's at around 60% now; temp 99. Im beside myself! I don't want to kill them in shell bc of my lack of knowledge.... PLEASE HELP!!
1f625.png

I'm sorry I have no knowledge regarding ducks or still air incubators. I think however, they need to be run a bit warmer than other types of incubators. Please do post on the "Duck thread." Just put that in the search box and it should pop up.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. DD has given you the best advice.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom