Help Wanted at Purely Poultry for 2012 Chick Season!

My introduction to poultry began as a child when my sister and I helped my father build a cage for the bob white quail, pheasant and chukars that he would soon acquire. Taking care of the new pets was a source of daily enjoyment. Soon an incubator was purchased and I couldn’t wait to see the new babies that had hatched out daily.

Many years have passed and our family has raised chickens, turkeys, doves, ducks, and a goose on occasion: but, it wasn’t until 5 years ago that we were able to move back to the country and my all out obsession with poultry began. Since then, we have been able to obtain many beautiful species of the pheasant family as well as some uncommon breeds of chickens. We also raise miniature cattle as well.

As a teen and young mother, I worked in the customer service industry. After our children were born, both my husband and I began to garden, raising many of the vegetables for our family. One of my goals since moving to the farm has been to be more self sufficient; but, with the added cost of feed I find I must look outside the farm for additional income. I love being around poultry and have found that people who raise chickens and other poultry are some of the nicest individuals you will meet. Raising poultry is a very rewarding experience. One that I enjoy sharing with others and hope will continue for many years to come.
smile.png

Kathy

Sharing our place with Bob White Quail, India Blue, Blackshoulder, and White peafowl, Red Golden, Yellow Golden and Lady Amherst Pheasants, Mutant Melanistic Pheasants. Giant Cochins: Blue, Black, Splash, Partridge and Buff; Heritage Rhode Island Red (rose combs), Red Shoulder Yokohamas, Crele Penedesenkas, Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and an assorment of bearded silkies.

Cover letter and resume submitted to you from Crystal Pattat ([email protected])

Albert Einstein said, “I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious.” And I, evolved Corporate America “city slicker” to “Stay-At-Home Mom” country girl, would have to say that I, too, am “passionately curious.”

What is my experience with poultry? Well honestly, I have very little experience in the background of time. I cannot say that I have had birds for years upon end, or that I have been raising them my whole life. I cannot even say that I had ever held a chicken until the very moment that I received my order from Purely Poultry this past October. But I can say that I studied upon the subject area of chicken’s health and habitat for 1 ½ years before granting myself the option of going forward with ordering my baby chicks. I said to myself that if I could love raising chickens in reality as much as I did in theory, then I would have it made, and finally decided to go through with my online order.

I knew then (at the day of my order (as I do still now)) that in all of my study and preparation for the answers to the questions that I would face that “I really don’t know until I know…” And I what I know thus far in caring for my birds is that though they are animals that they are to be treated humanely and with care; mine are referred to as “my girls.”
Just days before “my girls” arrived I spent time, like a new mother, getting ready their new home – setting their brooder up with heat lamps, pine shavings, water and food holders; I practiced moving everything around to see at what position I needed for the right temperature and learned very quickly as to which position would make my thermometer rise too high.

The day of arrival of my chicks finally came and with that came great excitement. That first week of nights, I set my alarm for every few hours getting up to check on the temperature, making sure that my thermometer was no higher than 95 degrees. And like a mother watches her newborn, I watched the behavior of the flock to communicate with me that their temperature was regulated and neither too hot nor cold; always watching their waterers to be sure that they were full (because the water is most important, ranking next with protection) and that food was available to them.

As my days went by I became very competent in checking /cleaning chick bottoms to make sure that their vents were open. I became a good communicator with my birds as how they were most comfortable maneuvering their feeders and getting settled.

Some days, the answers came easy and other days they did not - I combined my experiences from the Corporate workplace into knowing that the answer can be found just a few questions and clicks away via research, and my experiences living on the farmland as to being creative with material in provisions that I could find laying around to help me with my endeavors.

As the next few weeks went on I moved my chickens from their “pack -n- play” brooder to their very large grower pen that they stayed in until the renovation of the old corn crib could be made into their final home of the coop.

Building homes for chickens can be at any stage very easy and still very difficult. The designer must always keep in mind things like ventilation, but without too much draft; natural sunlight without a way of escape; and thoughts of protection for the birds from things such as snakes, foxes, coyotes and overhead birds (for the outside run).

In my commitment to my birds, I pledge no unnecessary antibiotics to stimulate unnatural growth or hormone injections and no painful de-beaking. “My girls” are promised to live as they should – in a stress-free environment, with a naturally established social hierarchy, cage-free and with the option to move to the roaming area to forge.

Tricia Pittman - Cover Letter & Resume submitted.
smile.png

I'll keep it short and sweet given the amount of these you have to read.
wink.png
Getting this position would be a blessing for myself and my family more that you would know. Here at Bout Thyme Farm we are poultry day in and day out. We have a small hobby farm and raise several Exhibition breeds as well as a couple of egg layer flocks and the kids pen! Knowledge here starts right at the egg then to chicks as we have them hatching weekly. Love and care is given to each and every one. They are provided the best for their particular needs thru all stages of life. Knowledge of poultry and their needs is abundant here, we go above and beyond for our birds as well as taking every precaution for their heath and safety. I could talk poultry all day, just as my husband
tongue.png
, but I know you have a goal in mind, "finding the right person for the job" so I'll let you get to it!!

Thank you again for the opportunity and do hope to hear from you.

In response to your request for a customer service advocate, I'm happy to offer my experience.

- I currently manage a flock of over fifty birds and nine different breeds.

- I've had chickens for three years, breeding and hatching my own line of Delaware.

- I'm a member of the ALBC and am listed in their breeder directory for the Delaware breed.

- I keep abreast of current trends in poultry news by subscribing to Back Yard Poultry magazine, regularly purchasing Practical Poultry magazine, Hobby Farms and Hobby Farms Chickens.

- I have read Poultry Health and Management by David Sainsbury and keep a copy for review in my library.

- Regular reader of the Poultry Site newsletter and have knowledge of current health concerns among the different types of poultry within the commercial industry.

- I have experience building chicken runs and coops.

- I have experience brooding chicks both hatched by myself and purchased. I also have experience with brooding hens.

- I have the skills and experience to research information for the types of poultry I do not own.

My resume will be sent. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tim Smith

I would LOVE to be considered for this position! I am currently farmsteading (just starting year #2!) and our chickens are an integral aspect of that. We have gone through a lot with our chickens, and between our current experiences and my past with other people's flocks, my knowledge base has expanded to incubators, brooders, coops, feed, heat lamps, coop lights, nesting boxes - chickens being broody, egg bound, off their feed, off their lay, sneezing, wheezing, what have you. None of my chickens have been sick (knock on wood!), but I have helped friends with sick chickens and have done a lot of research on common sicknesses in chickens just in case mine ever succumb. I also have experience with broilers and processing meat chickens for those who are so inclined. I have experience with dogs and chickens, kids and chickens, ducks and chickens, novices with chickens, predators and chickens, and new chickens with established chickens.

I have a lot of customer service experience, and I firmly believe in raising food for ourselves whenever possible. I also firmly believe that chickens make great additions to any family and ours run up to greet us when we leave the house or come up the driveway. There's nothing like the sight of a chicken running at you expectantly and at top speed! Mine are often wearing chicken saddles (homemade) which adds to the comical aspect of it all.

I have worked in offices that use Google docs extensively, and am already very familiar with Skype and most word processing and open source applications. I very much hope to hear from you and even if I don't seem to fit the bill, I still look forward to perusing the forums again this year as I expand our flock (we hope to start selling eggs this year, and hope to start an egg CSA in the next few years!).

I’m extremely interested in your Customer Care Advocate position for Purely Poultry. I believe I would be an ideal candidate for the job as I’ve raised many types of poultry including chickens-bantams and standards, guineas, turkeys and peafowl. My experience hatching and raising poultry will give the customers of Purely Poultry a very positive experience and encourage them to continue to learn more raising chickens. I take great enjoyment from breeding rare and hard to find breeds such as Coronation Sussex, Lavender Orpingtons and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I currently manage a flock of around 60 chickens. Finally, I take pride in selling quality chicks and chickens to local 4-H kids to show at the county fairs. I’m also a member of the American Poultry Association.

My experiences with poultry will provide Purely Poultry customers with the following:

1. Positive customer service experience
2. Knowledge of chicken breeds that will help direct the customer to find the best chickens for their needs
3. Experience hatching, caring, feeding, and treating chickens to help the customer keep their flock happy and healthy
4. Encourage customers to purchase chicken related books and dvds. This will enhance the customers experience with their new chicks and help drive sales for the company.

I have a huge passion for chickens and have submitted my resume for your consideration.

Thanks!

M. Kelly

Hello, my name is Christine. I would like to submit my intrest in the position.
I raised and exhibited pullets at our County Fair as a child. I have not been raising chickens in my adult life. As far as knowledge goes, I spend alot of time on the internet. I am planning on starting my flock this spring! I have been doing ALOT of research on BYC, books from the library, google search, etc. As a matter of fact I "judged" probably 50 or 60 of the coops to help out with the reorganizing here on Back Yard Chicken. I want to raise Wyandottes and Orpingtons for eggs and may possibly get into raising some Cornish X for meat birds by summer 2013. I am always seeking to learn more and feel I would be a great fit to fill your position. I have previous experience in Data Entry, Customer Service, and Bookkeeping. I will forward my resume.
Thank You for your time and consideration.
Christine

My family has been keeping laying hens of several different breeds for a couple years. We also have a couple of Pekin ducks, a Guinea as well as a flock of pigeons.

We have had to treat several illnesses and helped a chicken recover from a dog attack.

We own several great books on chicken keeping and strongly encourage all other chicken keepers to purchase good books as well.

Thanks for your consideration,

Zachary Medley

Back
Top Bottom