Help! We heard crowing!

easih

Hatching
Jun 8, 2016
Unfortunately (because of our dang city ordinances), we heard crowing, but we're not sure which chick it was, or even (fingers crossed) if it was the neighbor next door's, who also has chicks. Since we're going out of town for the next couple weeks, we kind of need to rehome ASAP if one of these four chicks, all about 11/12 weeks, is a boy.
1 & 2: We have two buff orps, from the same batch, but one's always been a bit bigger and much faster developing.

3. The golden sex link should be female, right? If I was going by personality, though, she's the most aggressive and dominant, and her face and comb are very red. Can sex linked chickens ever be 'wrong' colored?

4. Last is the easter egger. S/he has almost no comb but the legs and tail have me worried.

Thank you in advance for the help! As an absolute beginner, I really appreciate your veteran wisdom!

Unfortunately (because of our dang city ordinances), we heard crowing, but we're not sure which chick it was, or even (fingers crossed) if it was the neighbor next door's, who also has chicks. Since we're going out of town for the next couple weeks, we kind of need to rehome ASAP if one of these four chicks, all about 11/12 weeks, is a boy.
1 & 2: We have two buff orps, from the same batch, but one's always been a bit bigger and much faster developing.

3. The golden sex link should be female, right? If I was going by personality, though, she's the most aggressive and dominant, and her face and comb are very red. Can sex linked chickens ever be 'wrong' colored?

4. Last is the easter egger. S/he has almost no comb but the legs and tail have me worried.

Thank you in advance for the help! As an absolute beginner, I really appreciate your veteran wisdom!

Nothing is screaming rooster at me. Maybe check your neighbor's chickens. When a young cockerel first starts to crow it doesn't really sound like a crow (unless they wait until they are pretty old). Their first attempts at crowing tend to sound like a strangulated gargling...really pathetic.

Thank you for the help! I just noticed that the easter egger pic had the tail feathers down. They're usually upright. Does that make any difference? Oh, I hope you both are right and is our neighbor's bird.

Thank you for the help! I just noticed that the easter egger pic had the tail feathers down. They're usually upright. Does that make any difference? Oh, I hope you both are right and is our neighbor's bird.

The EE seems to have a hen's coloration, to me. If the hen is relaxed or wet, the tail feathers can droop. My birds were out in the rain today (silly chickens) and the hens' tail feathers were all curving down from being wet.

I agree with everyone else that none of them look like roosters. Your EE doesn't have rooster coloring and her comb has almost no pink, so I really think you're fine there and it probably was one of your neighbor's birds.

Back
Top Bottom