HELP! Weak Duckling! (WITH PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyMom, Jun 19, 2012.

1. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chirping

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    My Indian Runner just hatched out 8 ducklings and her 7th turned out much smaller than the others and very weak. He is unable to walk and his right wing points down instead of back. He is sort of scooting short distances but other than that he can barely keep himself upright. He spends most of his time sleeping and hasn't eaten or drank yet. (I'm not too concerned because he's only a few hours old) But he still seems very off balance for a duckling his age.
    Any ideas what could be wrong with him? I really feel for the little guy and want to help him.
    I have a couple of pictures but he doesn't seem too unhealthy in photo.

Thanks
    Emily

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    maybe sugar water or electrolytes to give him a boost. If he is that much smaller there could be something wrong with him genetically or health wise. Good luck.

3. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Songster

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    aw hes a runt [​IMG] i feel bad. try to feed him and see if he gets stronger. Just wait a little maybe he will be ok.

4. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chirping

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I couldn't get him to take any food, but I did get a few drops of water into him. I'll try getting him to take some more in a few minutes. [​IMG]
    Emily

5. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Songster

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    I hope he turns out ok. Good luck and hes very cute!![​IMG]

6. zooweemama

zooweemama Songster

He's so cute. Just keep trying to offer him fluid. I hope he perks up![​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

If he just hatched of course he isn't going to eat or drink. I think you should let him rest and offer water and food in 24 hrs. they live on the yolk sac for at least 2 days. Just my opinion of course. He sure is a cutie.

mammaofmiracles likes this.
  8. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chirping

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    When it comes to electrolytes, what should I use? Is there a product meant for this kind of thing or should I try a gatorade or pedialyte?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Have you ever heard of save a chick, you can get it at most feed stores and TSC very cheap mix it with water. also Poultry Nutri Drench is another great one to have on hand, all my ducklings and chicks get it in their water. Till you can get either of these 2 products that are for fowl, use these other 2 you mentioned.

10. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chirping

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thank you! I'll head down to the feed store tomorrow and see what I can find.
    Thank you all!
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: