Help? What are these babies?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pip's chicks, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Pip's chicks

Pip's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Central AR
    Hello fellow chicken lovers! I recently purchased a small batch of silkies and was sent 7 other chicks "for warmth." They are suppose to be all males but I am kind of confused because from what I understand it is hard to sex baby chicks? Anyway, I was not expecting these little darlings and have NO clue what kind of breed they may be. They are redish in color with small combs already...straight pink legs with 4 toes. The first little feathers are starting to appear on their wings and are orange with blackish markings. They are sturdy little things and I think they may be a larger type of chicken. Any suggestions? Also is it possible that I have a few females in the batch? Thank you [​IMG] I'm new at this....can ya tell? LOL [​IMG] I wish I knew how to post a pic?

2. Pip's chicks

Sep 7, 2011
    Central AR
    [​IMG]

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Rhode island red

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

AAAWWW! SO CUTE! I have no idea...

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    while i do not know what they are, there are ways to sex chicks, whether it be from a sex-link variety (males will look one way, females will look differently), a variety where one sex will have equal length wing feathers at a day old, and the other sex 2 different lengthed feathers. i'm sure there may be other ways to sex them, but these are the 2 that i know of.

just fyi [​IMG]

males are harder to get rid of, thus they give them as packing peanuts.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  6. Pip's chicks

Sep 7, 2011
    Central AR
    Thank you for the input! I have also learned how to post pics...yea! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by