HELP! What Breed and or Gender too :-)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlueJuniper, Jul 31, 2016.

1. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Hello. We are new to Byc, and chickens. We where recently given a mystery chick as a gift. He/She is 6 weeks old.
    I have some idea that it might be either a Speckled Sussex or a Welsummer. As a young chick, it had the distinguishing brown/tan stripes down the back. I also have a fear that it may be a he because of the large comb and waddles. Another thing this chick tends to do is look to the skies when all the rest of my girls are eating. Also walks around quite erect. Please help us determine the gender and breed of this chick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm almost thinking it looks like a Cream Legbar mix of some sort. I spy a tiny crest! :)

~Alex

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    X2 on above, and it's a little cockerel. Might be a black sex link - the result of a non barred, non white rooster over a CCL hen.

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, yes, I forgot to add that you have a little cockerel on your hands. [​IMG]

~Alex

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x3 agree with Pyxis

6. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Thank you all so much for your input and advice. Sadly, i think i agree with you guys that he is a roo. [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Mixed breed cockerel, possibly "black sex-link" or "legbar" or whatever. I don't keep track of all these mixes and the names they give them. It's either mixed breed or a specific breed and variety in my mind [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by