HELP!! What do I do about coryza!?

Thank you very much for your reply and opinion. My chickens all but 2 that are babies which ive kept in a seperate coop are ill. We definately did a good job of sterilizing everything when we took the coops apart bc the only birds showing symptoms are the adult birds which have eaten and drank after eachother. Ive been sterilizing the food and water as well but my birds are falling ill faster than i can even do anything. Those production hens that started this in my flock wreaked like a dead animal which is why i took them straight back but it was too late. Does anyone know where to send one of these in kansas? So if i waited 3 weeks do you think it would be sufficient time before starting over? Someone told me i had to burn everything and wait til after winter :( my babies thst havent had any contact with the others are perfectly fine but i dont want to get any more birds sick if i should wait til next spring i will

You can Google chicken necropsy Kansas, and there is a link for Kansas State University state poultry lab. Get some testing or a necropsy to make sure it is coryza. If it is only that, once all birds are gone, then you would be safe after waiting a few weeks. Keep in mind, that there could be more than one disease, and you should discuss this with your state vet when you get some results. It is recommended to either burn carcasses or bury them very deeply.

I found the address to the lab. My question is if by chance im dealing with bronchitis how long after the sick birds are gone should i wait to use the coop and pen again? I will find out from the necropsy but im just trying to plan ahead in any case for their findings bc i do still have others that were moved to the other side of the yard to keep them away from the sick birds. They were never in contact with them bc they are still chicks but just want to be cautious

If it was bronchitis, it makes all chickens in the area carriers for up to a year. It is highly contagious spreading through the air, and would be more likely to spread than MG. MG and coryza remain in the environment on equipment and clothing, or most anything for only several days. I don't know how long bronchitis virus stays in the environment., but your state vet may know. MG and coryza make flocks carriers for life if they are exposed. MG supossedly does spread as far or as easily as some diseases.

I believe it was coryza mainly because of the horrible smell coming from those birds. My babies are close to an acre away clear across the property do you think theyre okay? They still seem fine and healthy and are in an enclosed setting bc of cats and other predators. Im going to cull the rest of the flock bc theyre ill and i dont want it to spread. I guess ill see what hsppens. Im going to steralize and decontaminate the coop and let it sit out in the sun. Ill just keep an eye on the babies for now

Is there ANY chance at all before i cull the flock that this is something my birds can recover from? :'( they were much perkier yesterday but i dont want to risk other chicks and my neighbors flock if it needs done

I have MG in my flock and have been asymptomatic for 9 months with 50 birds. Tylan injected subcutaneous lyrics is a miracle for getting them well again. Denegard monthly in the water as a preventative has stopped all outbreaks. Key is to keep close eye and isolate any symptomatic birds right away.
I haven't dealt with coryza. MG symptoms needs to be dealt with then kept in check. Extremely hard to avoid since it can be carried even in nasal hairs. I'm sorry for your difficult times.

Last edited:
With mg are they carriers for life? Also what are the symptoms? Do you keep a closed flock?

They sure are but honestly they are as healthy as before and lay as prolific as before. I keep a closed flock yes. My vet estimates 8 to 9 birds out of 10 are carriers of MG in the wild and backyard chickens and it's a matter of time. I wish I never brought it into my flock and went through nightmarish weeks not knowing....but I believe MG is manageable and nearly inevitable...as unpopular as that makes me. Some people on here believe you should cull, but many others have gone through it and manage just fine. Can't speak on coryza though.

Last edited:
For me the symptoms are very clear. Sneezing. Sneezing with clear mucous discharge. Discharge gets thicker and lethargic bird. Rattle/wheeze/rales when breathing. Then foamy/bubbling eye. Then eye swells shut. By the time the eye swells shut you are kind of up the creek from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom