Help! What do I do with this newly hatched keet??

lazytrucker

Songster
6 Years
Aug 3, 2015
Texas Panhandle
I had one keet hatch last night at 11pm in my incubator. I have one left to hatch that was staggered 2 days behind. I'm hoping to have my broody chicken raise them. She was a bit flakey switching eggs so I took the good ones from her and gave her fake eggs.
I think I'm going to leave it in the incubator until tonight then put it under the hen. I'm stressing and don't want to miss the chance to have the hen raise it. Do I dare feed and water it before I give it to the hen? Any advise is welcome.

Thanks! I'm paranoid to wait too long to give it to the hen. Read that if they get too used to heat from a light they may not know to go to the mama. Wasn't sure how quick that could happen.
Also need the hen to think she's still waiting on another egg to hatch so she'll stay on the nest until this other egg hopefully hatches.
It should be fine in the incubator for the first 24 hours right?? It's running around pecking on stuff and I want to feed it but don't want to mess up the incubator humidity for the other egg.
It wouldn't hurt to give it some food and water until you put it under the hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom