Help!!!!! What happens if chick doesn't absorb yolk sac?

Thanks for asking!

I had to hold it on it's back, so I could get some shell off that had dried on the yolk sack and boy is it feisty. I couldn't hold it still long enough to put a bandage on it, but I did get some neosporin on it. It's resting a lot, but perks up and chirps when you talk to it.

I'm not sure about the other egg. I could of swore I saw it move last night, but who knows. It might be pipping as I type. The first little one that hatched plowed right over it and rolled it a bit. I need to go check it.

Feisty is always a good sign, I think.

I sure hope she has a sister hatch soon...
I hate it that your first hatch is so totally stressful, Kim. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that things get better soon!!!

My first little incubator baby is having the same problem. Her egg was jumping around so much last night that I was worried that she hadn't pipped yet. This morning I woke up about 4:00 a.m. and checked her and she wasn't jumping as much.

I finally got back to sleep only to have nightmares about my eggs hatching into tiny naked little robin-like peeps whose heads broke off easily!:eek:

My 7 year old daughter woke us up yelling that the eggs were cracking.
ya.gif
The first little peeper, a little cuckoo moran/blue wyandotte cross, finally kicked out of her egg about 1/2 hour ago but her vent is still attached to her shell. I took a picture but it's a little blurred. She's dragging her egg shell around mowing over some of her little siblings eggs. Think I should move her out of the bator?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/youngmommacass/Chickens/1stCuckooMoran.jpg

Hey all...just joined this thread b/c I did a search b/c I am having the same problem with one chick out of about 30 that hatched today. I went ahead and put it in another incubator all alone and rinsed the yolk sac with sterile saline. It seems strong, but it is still dragging the sac around. I am just going to leave it alone until morning, then rinse it again, I guess and then go to work and see what happens. I was curious as to what happened to the two chicks that were mentioned in this thread as having the same problem. I feel bad for it : ( Feel free to PM or email me with news.

Back
Top Bottom