HELP!! What is the most humane way to cull a chicken?

This is why I feel a sharp hatchet is the most humane. With eyes covered it's instant. You can use Carbon Monoxide, dry ice, carbon dioxide, freezer or anything along those lines. But my worst fear is death by suffocation. And that's what happens. Over minutes. They run out of O2. Or the vet-they get woozy, and die.

Have you considered gape worm? I had that in my flock for awhile and it makes them ''rattle'' when they breathe, too. They dont feel well because theyre not getting enough oxygen.

I had a hen with a horrible egg sack prolapse with no hope of recovery (she finally gave up, stopped eating, and made a heart wrenching clucking sound nonstop). After reading this thread and others, I de idea on a 22 point blank. There was no way I could slit the throat and rip off the head like in the treehugger link posted. Big mistake. I chose the "no fail" rat shot method and it jammed or something and just bloodied her temple. Retry with regular hollow point now that she is disoriented. Straight through the eyes, walk away, come back 20 minutes later and she's still breathing. Omg. Had to send DH to finish her off. Felt so awful for the pain and suffering i caused. I'm going straight out for an ax tomorrow morning to keep on hand just in case i ever have to do this again. The look on her face as she stared at me before the second shot. Nightmarish

I had a hen with a horrible egg sack prolapse with no hope of recovery (she finally gave up, stopped eating, and made a heart wrenching clucking sound nonstop). After reading this thread and others, I de idea on a 22 point blank. There was no way I could slit the throat and rip off the head like in the treehugger link posted. Big mistake. I chose the "no fail" rat shot method and it jammed or something and just bloodied her temple. Retry with regular hollow point now that she is disoriented. Straight through the eyes, walk away, come back 20 minutes later and she's still breathing. Omg. Had to send DH to finish her off. Felt so awful for the pain and suffering i caused. I'm going straight out for an ax tomorrow morning to keep on hand just in case i ever have to do this again. The look on her face as she stared at me before the second shot. Nightmarish

Sounds horrible, but I would definitely say a shot through the eyes is not good as you found out. It would have to be a regular hollow point directly in the head (brain). Or hatchet/axe.

My thought was that since the optic nerve goes straight to the brain, it would be the quickest option and wouldn't risk a ricochet. She was a great layer and such a gentle hen, I just hope she wasn't conscious through it.

Thank you all for the reply's on my post. I haven't been on in awhile. I had to shoot a hen last week--first time I had to kill one of my chickens. I just couldn't stand to see her suffer and starve. I used a 410. Not sure that was the best choice. I just didn't want to use 12 or 20 gage cuz I thought it would be overkill. Maybe that would have been better and quicker. It wasn't a good experience. I cried as I did it...cried alot. Felt horrible and the only thing that got me through was tellling myself over and over that it was the more humane thing to do than let her suffer a long drawn out death. I buried her and prayed and asked for forgiveness. I'm not a real religious person, but I do believe there is a God and I hope he knows that I did what I thought was best. Anyhow...I'm sure this won't be the last time I have to do this. I know it is just part of having animals. They get sick and die or we have to make the choice to end their lives if necessary. Thank you all again.

I have taken them to vet. They gas them first, which puts them to sleep. Then they give the shot with a long needle in the heart which stops it. They charged me for a "pocket pet".
If you do it at home. Use a cone, they go into head first and are upside down. Hanging upside down, they fall asleep, very asleep because of the blood rush to the brain. Then use a sharp pair of pruning shears and cut the head off. Let it bleed into a bucket with water. There is no flopping around.

Thank you all for the reply's on my post. I haven't been on in awhile. I had to shoot a hen last week--first time I had to kill one of my chickens. I just couldn't stand to see her suffer and starve. I used a 410. Not sure that was the best choice. I just didn't want to use 12 or 20 gage cuz I thought it would be overkill. Maybe that would have been better and quicker. It wasn't a good experience. I cried as I did it...cried alot. Felt horrible and the only thing that got me through was tellling myself over and over that it was the more humane thing to do than let her suffer a long drawn out death. I buried her and prayed and asked for forgiveness. I'm not a real religious person, but I do believe there is a God and I hope he knows that I did what I thought was best. Anyhow...I'm sure this won't be the last time I have to do this. I know it is just part of having animals. They get sick and die or we have to make the choice to end their lives if necessary. Thank you all again.
If they are hurt and dying then shooting in the head would be the best/quickest way. A 22 should be more than enough, we have used a pellet gun up close and it worked too. It is hard, but the humane thing to do.

But, if you live in town, and even if you don't, the other quick way is like grandma use to do and use a hatchet. Quick and no missing.

I’ve thought about a B.B. gun. Wrap her in a towel and straight through the side of her head. I thought u could wrap her tight and lay her in the ground with gun against the side if her head.
After reading a couple of these posts now I’m not so sure. I’m thinking I need to sharpen my hatchet.
Just had one caught by a hawk yesterday. By the time I got to her she was dead. Thank goodness. I have a good big powered B.B. gun but now I’m not sure.

Back
Top Bottom