Help! What Is This? Aftermath of Fowl pox. Graphic!

luvmydoberman

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2016

I have an approx 3 -4 month old cream crested legbar pullet that I bought along with 5 other same aged pullets 3 weeks ago from the same seller. All chicks were raised together. These are the only chickens I have on my property. From the beginning she seemed to have an issue with both eyes. Initially they looked sunken so I tried nutridrencht hinking stress and/or dehydration. By day 3 it was obvious something more was going on and I contacted the seller who thought it was respiratory. I explained the chicken had what looked to be foam in the eye and now I could see sores and swelling, no other symptoms, respiratory or otherwise. She suggested Duramycin and after 3 days I saw no improvement so she had me switch to Tylan 50 which I did. Fast forward to today. It has been diagnose as fowl pox and I have been syringe feeding for 2 weeks to keep this baby alive. Stopped the antibiotics per vet instruction since the did not seem to be a secondary infection, but this will not resolve. Is it pus? Scabs that will fall off? I'm at a loss. Any advice is welcome. Both eyes are similar and if the is fowl pox she has had symptoms since October 16th. At this point I am applying on Neosporin with no pain relievers, but have access to the Duramycin and Tylan 50 if needed. The problem looked to be getting better as the areas have gotten smaller but now the progress has seemed to have stopped. Also the other 5 pullets show no signs or symptoms. Seem healthy.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. That does possibly look to be fowl pox, and although the virus usually lasts 2-3 weeks, it tends to affect the younger chickens worse. Secondary infections in the eyes can be a complication of pox, and may be from mycoplasma, E.coli, and others. I would think if it was pox, that you would have seen a few scabs on the others. Have you ever seen any respiratory symptoms, such as sneezing, gasping or wheezing? Tylan and Duramycin both will treat mycoplasma, but not E.coli bacteria or viruses. With pox, you are not supposed to disturb the scabs since it may spread the pox, but I would apply some warm saline or water soaks to the poor chicks eyes before applying antibiotic ointment. Terramycin eye ointment is available from feed stores, and is a tetracycline drug. Your vet may have something better for other bacteria. You may want to look inside the beak and throat for any yellow chunks that might be wet fowl pox, a more serious type. We wish you luck eith your pullet, and let us know what happens. Here is some info about pox:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

So far all other pullets are free of sores or symptoms. I have been syringe feeding this one for the last 2 weeks so i know there are no obvious abnormalities with her mouth and throat. No obvious respiratory issues.She actually had quite a healthy appetite up until she could no longer see. And the seller i got the birds from has just finally admitted to me that the rest of her juvenile, they were all housed together, have begun showing symptoms. Scary thing is is that she is still actively selling them. I have terramycin ointment but had switched to neosporin only because of the amount i have to use. I also apply warm compresses twice a day. I am hoping for her sake this will start to cleat up. I had people mention pus and having to remove it, but that it was best for a vet to do it. I am not opposed to performing dirty jobs as i have many animals, just not alot of chicken experience. Just getting back in after 20 years away. I have never encountered this and am at a loss. I just hope she is not suffering.

Well, I guess i got my answer. Went out to feed her tonight and found her looking like this. Seems it is only scabs and nothing else. Fell off or got knocked off as she moved around. Now if her eye would open and she would b able to see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Well, you have probably saved her life tube feeding her and applying the ointment to her cleaned eyes. Do you live in the south or a tropical area? Fowl pox is much worse in hot humid weather where mosquitoes are a problem. Fowl pox vaccine is available at online stores for those chickens not exposed in these areas. Once a chicken recovers from pox, they will be immune to that particular strain of pox in the future. Here is some info about the vaccine and where to buy it:
https://www.drugs.com/vet/fowl-pox-vaccine.html
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...argrPRHY6xKO0p1uoVzR7eFzk72J30IgBIaAoG68P8HAQ
https://www.jefferspet.com/products...msj182ajDjLPSwZLlnut3Tz2FQlipq_WsIaAsoZ8P8HAQ

Thanks. Yes I do live in a warm climate. I am down in Louisiana where we have had extremely high temps. We are just now getting out of the 80s during the day. I am happy to say that she seems to be in the recovery mode. Scabbed have fallen off. Flockmates are vaccinated. Her eyes seem scarred so she is unable to open them completely and has trouble with them opening more so in the morning. I have contacted the seller who is reluctant to refund the money I paid. And amazingly enough she has continued to sell her birds even after admitting to me that this has broken out in her flock. I am glad my girl is doing better, it was a tough month. She is not even half the size of her sibling which I am sure is due to nutritional needs not being met with me syringe feeding. Will she ever catch up? I don't have a clue. Will she ever be the layer I bought her for? That to is unknown. I am now scared to replace her, I don't want to bring in new birds. I am under the impression that my property is now "hot" with her droppings and feathers. My plan was to purchase additional birds in the spring and had made arrangements with the orginal seller to purchase more pullets from her. All I can say is let the buyer beware. I thought I was doing better buying from someone who hatched and raised her own animals rather than from a hatchery, but I guess there are "backyard breeders" (to use the term used for bad dog breeders) no matter what type animal you are purchasing.

Fowl pox should not be a problem in your ground or environment once the chickens recover from the virus. Perhaps she will start putting on weight once she recovers. Laying slows during the disease, but should pick back up later. Some tube feed their chickens during a severe case of pox, especially wet pox. Hoping things improve with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom