Help! WHAT is this?? Graphic photo!

get screw worm spray: it will kill the maggots guarenteed. Then wash her to get the dead ones off. Then I'd bring her inside to keep the flies off her and give her "goodies" to perk her up (boiled eggs, soft bread). Last, just let her stay until the wound is 100% healed.

im not exactly sure but if there is maggots then they're eating flesh. So it might have been burnt. it couldve been attacked. as long as you clean it, it will only get better. does it effecting her egg laying? Does she seem different? probably a wound from an attack!

She was in a completely enclosed (top also) pen and coop at night with 17 other chickens. She has never been a fighter with other chickens and no body else was injured. I can only think it might have started as an insect bite that got infected or whatever. I am cleaning the area twice a day and applying tons of polyantibiotic. I am going to see if the vet that visits the farm will give her a shot of Baytril or another antibiotic and teach me how to do it. I don't think that would hurt. She is eating, resting, and seems comfortable but she has not been laying eggs. Thanks for replying to my post.

Hi, Lot's of good ideas to help save her have been posted here. I'll keep checking back to see how she is doing. I think she will be OK. It sounds like you are doing all the right things to help her.
Good luck!

I'd get screw worm spray if there are any left. Then, I'd hp it to clean it. After that, wash the hp off them left the wound heal. Keep her away from flies or she'll get more.

I was amazed to see this pic!! This is absolutely, 100% identical to what we experienced in a 3 yo Comet about a month ago!! Exact same place on her behind, exact same description of the maggots, etc. Therefore, I don't believe this could be a spider bite and we would both have such an identical occurrence! We also picked out all the maggots, cleaned it well with mild soap/water and triple antibiotic the first day, then kept it sprayed with bluekote after that. I also injected 1.5cc Tylan50 for 3 days. She acted well out with the flock, but I kept checking her abcessed wound and found that it just became very hard in that area but skin never seemed to regrow. With time, I also saw that she had less and less color in her comb and also her feathers lost color like crazy. I found that her abdomen had become swollen and hard as a rock. It felt like someone had literally put a rock in it that was too big and the skin was going to burst any minute. I really became sadly convinced that there was no saving her and called a friend who is a veterinarian from South America. Before coming to the USA, he worked for a time overseeing poultry production houses in his country and therefore has more than the usual amount of chicken knowledge for a small animal vet. Since I just cannot bring myself to kill my own birds, he kindly offered to euthanize her and then opened her up and did a thorough gross examination. He said she was full of material that looked like cheese--all the result of malfunctioning oviduct. He saw how other organs had been affected, including some fatty liver, but thought that everything was a result of the oviduct situation.

Are these two things related? Who knows? But my vet friend does want to look for powdered Tylan to put in the water as I'm suddenly having many more problems with my flock. He says the Duramycin which I suggested (easy to get at TSC) has been overused which is why he preferred the Tylan. He also says this needs to be a long-term treatment which is why he doesn't feel that injections will work.

My whole flock turns 3 years old in one week and I had never realized before how much this seems to be the age for so many problems to set in. Not a happy discovery!!
sad.png
It sounds very interesting what Josebeth1 has written. Could this be an internal layer who is full of infection and pus and the abcess has burst open through the skin? Pus in chickens is solid and looks and feels like cheese, not oozing liquid like in humans.

You say she has not been laying for a while, which could be the reason. I would have thought that the infection would have caused her to be ill long before the bursting, but she is exactly the right age that I lost some of mine to internal laying. Is she a high production breed?

I agree with the others who advise cleaning the wound and using antibiotics, separating her and feeding her high protein (scrambled eggs are good). Add electrolytes to her water (dioralyte or similar which you can get easily) as this will help her cope with stress.

You are giving her a chance which is the best thing you can do. Hope it works and you clear the infection, but I would warn you that if the cheese is there I cannot imagine how you get rid of it rid of it without cutting it out as it is solid. If she is internally laying, and if you get on top of the infection, then she will either stop or continue and then there is nothing you can do. It seems a long way along the process if it is a burst abcess.

fl.gif

be careful cleaning the coop, if it is a brown recluse, it will have no problems bitting you like it bit her. they have some pet friendly spider spray at lowes. just a thought

Back
Top Bottom