Gleet, prolapse….. need help *graphic photos*

Mythreal81

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2023
Today I noticed one of my young hens that just started to lay was oozing from her vent. She’s a fluffy chicken so harder to see things. When we picked her up we noticed lots of oozing and mess and brought her inside for a soak. After the soak I found this white hard lump hanging out. I thought it was a man egg and gently rubbed it with a warm wash cloth and it showed bloody skin underneath. She is drying in a kennel with probiotics and electrolytes in her water. What can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_8205.jpeg
    IMG_8205.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8208.jpeg
    IMG_8208.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 21
What's a "man egg"? Or is that a trick your spell correct on your device played on you?

That sure does look like gleet. If it smells, that would cinch it.

I recently treated a few in my flock for gleet. Up until then I had only used the anti-fungal. I did some research and found that bacteria is in cahoots with the fungus with gleet so that's why I had never been successful in treating gleet in the past.

I gave one dose of Medistatin twice a day. It does not require a prescription as Nystatin does. You can buy it here. https://jedds.com/products/medistatin-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=0bfbbb36e&_ss=r

It comes in powder form. What I did was take an empty gel cap that you can get on Amazon or at any health food store, and filled them with the powder. I think I used the size zero. This is the easiest method to get a med into a chicken - just shove it into the beak.

I also gave one 250mg cap of fish mox each day. I did this for four days. I also sprayed Betadine on the vent and on the skin below the vent to kill the fungus on her external tissue. After four days the gleet was gone. You can also get the fish mox at Jedds.

If this is more stubborn and does not clear up in four days, continue for another couple days.

Looks like she's prolapsed to me, and the tissue is covered with urates. Are there any maggots?
Can you give her a good soaking and clean her up, trim feathers from around the vent area?

Is she able to poop?

If the tissue from the vent is exposed, it's important to keep that from drying out. You can use oil, raw honey, anti-inflammatory cream, ointment, etc. Get some Calcium Citrate into her once daily.

Looks like she's prolapsed to me, and the tissue is covered with urates. Are there any maggots?
Can you give her a good soaking and clean her up, trim feathers from around the vent area?

Is she able to poop?

If the tissue from the vent is exposed, it's important to keep that from drying out. You can use oil, raw honey, anti-inflammatory cream, ointment, etc. Get some Calcium Citrate into her once daily.
Thanks, I soaked her for 20 min before the pic, if I scrub at all she starts bleeding. Going to soak again this morning. I’ll get an ointment on asap. I don’t see any maggots but will look harder.where can I get calcium citrate?

What's a "man egg"? Or is that a trick your spell correct on your device played on you?

That sure does look like gleet. If it smells, that would cinch it.

I recently treated a few in my flock for gleet. Up until then I had only used the anti-fungal. I did some research and found that bacteria is in cahoots with the fungus with gleet so that's why I had never been successful in treating gleet in the past.

I gave one dose of Medistatin twice a day. It does not require a prescription as Nystatin does. You can buy it here. https://jedds.com/products/medistatin-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=0bfbbb36e&_ss=r

It comes in powder form. What I did was take an empty gel cap that you can get on Amazon or at any health food store, and filled them with the powder. I think I used the size zero. This is the easiest method to get a med into a chicken - just shove it into the beak.

I also gave one 250mg cap of fish mox each day. I did this for four days. I also sprayed Betadine on the vent and on the skin below the vent to kill the fungus on her external tissue. After four days the gleet was gone. You can also get the fish mox at Jedds.

If this is more stubborn and does not clear up in four days, continue for another couple days.
Auto correct changed it. It’s supposed to say an egg. Oddly there isn’t much smell but she is dripping like gleet. I’m going to see what I can get to treat it today.

Auto correct changed it. It’s supposed to say an egg. Oddly there isn’t much smell but she is dripping like gleet. I’m going to see what I can get to treat it today.
Have you seen her poop?

Back
Top Bottom