HELP, What is wrong with baby chickens beak? BIG BUMP!

Chef Derek

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
Hatching
I have 16 new baby chicks 2.5 weeks old. What is going on with its beak? A few have these bumpy beaks most don't but the one pictured is the worst and the only one I could get a close up. They came from McMurray Hatchery with all vaccinations. All chicks are active, eating and seem normal otherwise. They are eating a organic starter feed, a few grass clippings, water with the occasional splash of organic Apple Cider Vinegar.
20200527_101158.jpg
20200527_101044.jpg
20200527_101038.jpg
20200526_104721.jpg
20200526_104704.jpg
20200526_104700.jpg
20200526_104656.jpg
20200526_104649.jpg
20200526_104633.jpg

I have never seen such a thing! How many chicks are affected? How soon after their arrival did you notice these lesions? Have you call the hatchery and talked to them about this? It would enlighten both you and them to have a conversation.

If it were just one chick, I would suspect an injury. But several chicks screams disease. Fungus maybe. Hopefully others will stop by this thread and offer more help than I have.

I noticed it last week. This is my first time raising chickens. I thought it might be their little beak breakers getting ready to fall off. But as you see the one is quite large. It is hard to the touch. Could it be injury? The wooden lid to my brooder did fall on them by accident. But I didn't notice any injuries at the time. It appears to only be on a few. I have emailed the Hatchery but haven't heard back yet. Accept a auto response saying they're very busy and will respond soon.

Did they arrive/shipped that way? You mentioned you noticed it last week. Did it all of a sudden appear or did you notice it more each day?
Just curious to figure this mystery out.
I think more exact details are needed.
They did not arrive this way.

They did not arrive this way.
Only as a nurse, not as a chicken expert because I am a novis.
It looks like canker. Me, I'd try and treat it like a canker sore and see if that helps. It even looks dry /cracked but weepy like a canker sore. Esp, since its on several birds and that zoster virus can spread. Wash your hands good. Hopefully, it will run its course and go away.

I was told by a professional that it appears to be Dry Fowl Pox, and will run its course in a few weeks time. Unfortunately no treatment is available. Does anyone have thoughts on that??

Back
Top Bottom