Help. What is wrong with my chicks?

Pics
How did they diagnose it?
Swab culturing takes days.
What AB and dosage did they give?

Well, one of the ones who fell sick today had mucus coming out of her mouth which none of the others had previously so that was a sign. Also their respiratory rate is double what it should be, so they are definitely struggling to breath. He also wiped their eyes and beaks on a glass slide and looked it it under a scope.
He perscribed Tylosin at a dose of 1/4 TBS per gallon. And a drop of vitamin A in their feed once a week as well as having me switch to a normal chick starter, not the breeders homemade stuff. I hope it saves them. I got them all to drink quite a bit of the medicated water with a dropper and they all ate some new feed.

I wonder if adding electrolytes would give them a little boost, or Nutri-drench. Anyone have advice on that? I don't think they do any harm, so I would give it if it doesn't interfere with the antibiotics, and I'm not sure how they could do that.

I have both of those things. He said not to add anything else to the antibiotic water. I can give them direct drops of Nutri-drench tomorrow tho for a little boost. I’m really happy to see them still eating and drinking well, but the labored breathing is making me so scared they won’t make it. My precious Ayana Cemani looks awful. :hitShe’s the one who has the mucus coming out of her mouth. Poor thing.

I sure hope she makes it. They are so young, so best to follow doctors orders, but do give the Ayana Cemani the Nutridrench tomorrow. Why not today? Vet's orders?

Someone on here (I wish I could remember who) said, "chickens are very resilient, and fragile". I love that. It's amazing what they can live through and then tragedy strikes and we can't figure out what to do.

I sure hope she makes it. They are so young, so best to follow doctors orders, but do give the Ayana Cemani the Nutridrench tomorrow. Why not today? Vet's orders?

Someone on here (I wish I could remember who) said, "chickens are very resilient, and fragile". I love that. It's amazing what they can live through and then tragedy strikes and we can't figure out what to do.

That’s a perfect quote. It really does seem to be true.
I’d give her the nutri-drench today, but it’s already dark here and they are asleep. I don’t want to stress her out by waking her.

Back
Top Bottom