Help. What is wrong with my chicks?

Pics
Omg so I went to take a photo of the poop for you and turned the red lamp off to get a better picture and upon turning it off, saw that the poop is really really green. Some of it, at least. Like a really weird darker green. The red light made it look normal.
I am few days behind...catching up now.

This poop means it is not eating.

The Olive egger just died now. Really really sad to lose her. She was one of my instant favorites.
The remaining 4 seem healthy. I’m hoping this is the end of the heartache.
The breeder I got the chicks from is replacing my losses for free since it was such an odd horrible thing. I’m going to take them, but keep them separate from my healthy 4 for a solid month to make sure they are healthy. I’m not going to let this discourage me from raising chickens, but omg wow this sucked. Thanks for all the support along the way.

D7E0580E-87BA-4367-BC7E-DC2FD8AE47B3.jpeg
RIP little Olive Egger. This was her at 2 weeks old. :(

I didn't actually want to "like" that post. Just take it as an indication of support. I'm so heartbroken for you. If this had been my first experience, I might have given up. I don't know what happened here, but I can assure you most chicks live. I have been doing this for 4 years and have never lost a chick. I've never even had a sick chick.

This is NOT anything you did wrong. You have been a wonderful and caring chicken raiser. Please don't let this experience sour you on chickens. They are really so great to have. Maybe find a new source for your chicks?

Just want you to know you are in m heart and prayers. :hugs

Thanks so much for all your help and kind words along the way. If my free batch of replacements goes badly I’m definitely going to look elsewhere. Where do you get your chicks? That’s amazing. No losses in 4 years. Wow.

Thanks so much for all your help and kind words along the way. If my free batch of replacements goes badly I’m definitely going to look elsewhere. Where do you get your chicks? That’s amazing. No losses in 4 years. Wow.
I get mine from a local farm store, Wilco, and they seem to care where they get their chicks from. I wish I could remember the hatchery this year but I cannot. I have done very well with Wilco.

Well, after all of this, turns out it’s a respiratory infection. I rushed them to the vet today when I woke up to the healthy 4 all sick now. Can’t believe it was a respiratory infection and had I taken them to the vet sooner, I could have saved them. Apparently that rocking was them struggling to breath. I never would have known. Hoping these 4 pull through on antibiotics.

Well, after all of this, turns out it’s a respiratory infection. I rushed them to the vet today when I woke up to the healthy 4 all sick now. Can’t believe it was a respiratory infection and had I taken them to the vet sooner, I could have saved them. Apparently that rocking was them struggling to breath. I never would have known. Hoping these 4 pull through on antibiotics.
I am so sorry to hear that. :hugs I had a feeling the corid wasn't working and now we know why. I'm so sorry we didn't have the answers this time, but thank you for taking them to the vet. Will you replace the ones you lost now from the same hatchery? If you do at least you'll know what you're dealing with if they have the same problem. I really hope this doesn't ruin your chicken experience or make you give up on them. This very unusual. :hugs

How did they diagnose it?
Swab culturing takes days.
What AB and dosage did they give?

I am so sorry to hear that. :hugs I had a feeling the corid wasn't working and now we know why. I'm so sorry we didn't have the answers this time, but thank you for taking them to the vet. Will you replace the ones you lost now from the same hatchery? If you do at least you'll know what you're dealing with if they have the same problem. I really hope this doesn't ruin your chicken experience or make you give up on them. This very unusual. :hugs

Yeah at least I know why the corid wasn’t working and I’m really hoping we caught it in time to save these 4. Yes, I’m going to get my free replacements from the same breeder, as well as 2 extras just in case, and then never look back. It probably isn’t her fault and I don’t blame her, but I’ll proably try somewhere else next time.

Back
Top Bottom