Help. What is wrong with my chicks?

Pics
How are they today? For your ones that are not showing any symptoms and have been on it for 6 days, they are probably ok at this point, I would do the second week at the follow up preventative dosing, I've added the chart at the bottom (always use the severe outbreak dosing). Are they still separated? For the ones still showing symptoms I would continue treatment, making sure they are taking in plenty of the medicated water daily. There is a possiblility that you have a resistant strain. The other treatment is to get a sulfa medication and use that. It's harder on their systems than Corid so I only use it when I don't get results with the correct dose of Corid. A sulfa drug like Dimethox or Albon (Sulfadimethoxine), Sulmet (sulfamethazine) or SMZ/TMP (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim). Some have to come from a vet, you can get bird sulfa on line, there are many online sources. Dose is 100mg per kg of bird weight orally every 12 hours. https://www.countrysidepet.com/products/bird-sulfa-sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim-30-tablets
You can also use toltrazuril: https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Toltrazuril-5-Suspension-for-Coccidiosis-p/med132.htm
Here is a thread that discusses all of them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-them-work-in-progress.1219441/#post-19496375
Not trying to bury you with information, just making sure you have everything so you can choose.

View attachment 1949120
View attachment 1949132

Wow you’re the best. Thank you so much. I’m out running errands but will sift through all of this when I get home. The remaining 6 are still alive. The healthy 3 are still separated.

Thanks again.

How are they today? For your ones that are not showing any symptoms and have been on it for 6 days, they are probably ok at this point, I would do the second week at the follow up preventative dosing, I've added the chart at the bottom (always use the severe outbreak dosing). Are they still separated? For the ones still showing symptoms I would continue treatment, making sure they are taking in plenty of the medicated water daily. There is a possiblility that you have a resistant strain. The other treatment is to get a sulfa medication and use that. It's harder on their systems than Corid so I only use it when I don't get results with the correct dose of Corid. A sulfa drug like Dimethox or Albon (Sulfadimethoxine), Sulmet (sulfamethazine) or SMZ/TMP (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim). Some have to come from a vet, you can get bird sulfa on line, there are many online sources. Dose is 100mg per kg of bird weight orally every 12 hours. https://www.countrysidepet.com/products/bird-sulfa-sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim-30-tablets
You can also use toltrazuril: https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Toltrazuril-5-Suspension-for-Coccidiosis-p/med132.htm
Here is a thread that discusses all of them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-them-work-in-progress.1219441/#post-19496375
Not trying to bury you with information, just making sure you have everything so you can choose.

View attachment 1949120
View attachment 1949132

Ok so - I’m going to switch the healthy ones to the lower dose of 1/2tsp per gallon. I should still not start vitamins and probiotics correct? And for the sick ones, should I keep them on the higher dose plus the daily direct dose? If so, for how long?

Correct about vitamins, wait on those until treatment is complete. Probiotics are fine as long as they don't contain vitamins, check your label, some are just probiotics, some are both. I would count today as day one for the others (since you did give them the vitamins) and move forward from there. That is what I would do. Hopefully they will start to look better. I'm hoping that maybe they just didn't take in enough of the meds to help. If they just keep getting worse, or you haven't seen any improvement at all in the next day or two I would consider trying one of the other medications.

Correct about vitamins, wait on those until treatment is complete. Probiotics are fine as long as they don't contain vitamins, check your label, some are just probiotics, some are both. I would count today as day one for the others (since you did give them the vitamins) and move forward from there. That is what I would do. Hopefully they will start to look better. I'm hoping that maybe they just didn't take in enough of the meds to help. If they just keep getting worse, or you haven't seen any improvement at all in the next day or two I would consider trying one of the other medications.

Thank you. You have been so helpful.

So 5 more days at the full Corid dose in the water for the sick group. Should I still direct drench them? I did today, because the Olive egger looks like she’s about to die. So I figured why not. I also gave her a bit of the Corid water. Another detail - I just noticed a clicking sound when she breaths. She hasn’t been doing that in the past, and none of the others have either. I will be shocked if she makes it to tomorrow.

I will start the healthy group on 1/2tsp per gallon of Corid + probiotics if they don’t have vitamins. It’s the same brand as save-a-chick electrolytes. Need to look at the package. Thanks again.

Thank you. You have been so helpful.

So 5 more days at the full Corid dose in the water for the sick group. Should I still direct drench them? I did today, because the Olive egger looks like she’s about to die. So I figured why not. I also gave her a bit of the Corid water. Another detail - I just noticed a clicking sound when she breaths. She hasn’t been doing that in the past, and none of the others have either. I will be shocked if she makes it to tomorrow.

I will start the healthy group on 1/2tsp per gallon of Corid + probiotics if they don’t have vitamins. It’s the same brand as save-a-chick electrolytes. Need to look at the package. Thanks again.

I’ll definitely try one of the other meds if the other two sick ones really go down hill suddenly. Neither of them seem too bad. One just can’t walk well and the other one is doing the weird neck jerking thing but both are perky.

3020C7AD-F807-4011-B1C7-1666D13EF5AE.jpeg
1FFE8C46-8F31-452D-9617-9F5020D7C3A5.jpeg
Just had to add these pics of my healthy Swedish Flower Hen. He’s definitely my favorite. So lively and funny. Love her little crest and new feathers on her chest. Such a funny looking stage.

Back
Top Bottom