Help. What is wrong with my chicks?

Pics
Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
2D092D2F-5009-4056-833A-164220C995D1.jpeg
C44CCEFB-0AAA-40A2-8761-4E678BA43E10.jpeg
Hello, I had 8 3 week old chicks. One died 4 days ago, so I’m down to 7. I began treating them with corid (2 tsp in a gallon of water fresh everyday), the day I woke up to the one that had passed because I saw some bloody stool in the brooder.
I’m using a “professional brooder” (I’m not a professional tho). It has a wire bottom so it’s pretty sanitary. I’ll attach a pic. It’s just below 80 now. The one that died had a couple symptoms. The main one was rocking from front to back. She also had her wings spread out, but not out to the side, like vertically if that even makes sense. They formed a tent shape over her.

4 of my 7 remaining chicks are sick. I have removed the sick ones and have them in a makeshift Rubbermaid brooder with a red heat lamp. 80 degree reading on the floor under the lamp. All are displaying different symptoms. One is doing the rocking (it’s almost pulsing) while making a chirping sound that isn’t normal. Her eyes are mostly closed and she has her wings spread just like the chick that died 4 days ago did. She also keeps pasting up so I’ve been giving her daily bum washes. I’ll attach a video of what she’s doing. I’m pretty sad about her. She is an Isbar (Silverrudds Blue) and I was excited to see her grow up. It’s discouraging that I’m on day 5 or the Corid and she’s worse, not better. Leads me to believe maybe Coccidiosis isn’t my issue.
My Olive egger is puffed up and a bit lethargic and has passed bloody stool and keeps pasting up as well, but is eating and drinking and those are her only symptoms.
My beautiful little Wyandotte suddenly can’t walk without stumbling and being very off balance. I’ve seen her do some really awkward summersaults and also lay down on her side in a very strange way. She’s got energy tho and is eating and drinking and seems otherwise chipper.
My little black and white (yellow for now) Swedish Flower Hen seems energetic and normal aside from this really weird thing she’s doing every once in a while. She will suddenly open her beak and throw her head back violently and stumble backwards, almost like something is stuck in her throat or something but I can’t see anything and I can’t feel anything in her crop. I gave her some coconut oil and massaged it but it didn’t help. I saw her do it this morning, but she didn’t do it again while I was out there this afternoon so I don’t have a video yet.

I’m feeding them a chick feed pictured as well as chick grit.

Would be so grateful for input. I’m so sad about my chicks. I’m a first time chicken owner, so this is pretty overwhelming to only see 3 healthy chicks in my brooder. Since today is day 5 on the Corid, my current plan is to stop it tomorrow and give nutri-drench and probiotics. Thoughts? Thanks.

I had 8 3 week old chicks. One died 4 days ago, so I’m down to 7. I began treating them with corid (2 tsp in a gallon of water fresh everyday), the day I woke up to the one that had passed because I saw some bloody stool in the brooder.

The one that died had a couple symptoms. The main one was rocking from front to back. She also had her wings spread out, but not out to the side, like vertically if that even makes sense. They formed a tent shape over her.

4 of my 7 remaining chicks are sick.

80 degree reading on the floor under the lamp. All are displaying different symptoms. One is doing the rocking (it’s almost pulsing) while making a chirping sound that isn’t normal. Her eyes are mostly closed and she has her wings spread just like the chick that died 4 days ago did. She also keeps pasting up

My Olive egger is puffed up and a bit lethargic and has passed bloody stool and keeps pasting up as well,

My beautiful little Wyandotte suddenly can’t walk without stumbling and being very off balance. I’ve seen her do some really awkward summersaults and also lay down on her side in a very strange way.

My little black and white (yellow for now) Swedish Flower Hen seems energetic and normal aside from this really weird thing she’s doing every once in a while. She will suddenly open her beak and throw her head back violently and stumble backwards,

I gave her some coconut oil and massaged it but it didn’t help.

I’m honestly not sure what the nutritional make up is. That’s what she was feeding them and raises all her chicks on.
Photos of the poop?

Where did that bag of chick feed come from - did you buy it from the breeder or order it?
I would go get a bag of commercial chick starter with a fresh mill date. If the stools are bloody, then I would also direct drench them with the liquid Corid at 0.10 ml per pound of body weight. This is in addition to them drinking the Corid water.

To me, they look too hot. Is it only 80F under the heat lamp or is the whole brooder that warm.
Vent pasting at 3wks is concerning.

The rocking back and forth, to me, looks like panting. Where is the brooder located?

Just my 2¢

I don’t know who installed it. It was there when we moved here. It’s not in the same room.
Then I'd not worry about CO(carbon monoxide)...especially if the boiler room is 'tight'. ETA to Correct gas symbol

Should I move the chicks inside??? I hate hate hate the red heat lamp and am scared I’ll burn my house down but I could move them into a bin inside with a heat lamp
Nah, I wouldn't turn the boiler/heat off either.

Wait I may be wrong but I thought read heat lamps let off a toxic fume or something
Only if it's not approved for poultry...food warming lamps have a 'safety' coating against breakage, those are the ones that can kill birds.

Last edited:
I think in Colorado where the OP lives they are having cold and snow so maybe the chicks do need more heat. It depends on what the temperature is that she has for them.

Yes we are extremely cold. Our high today was in the low 20's. We have been below freezing for 70+ hours.
The OP is about 20 miles from me.

If they are in a heated house that may change the need for heat.

I'm not saying this to sound ugly so don't take it the wrong way.
The word breeder is used too loosely by many, not you...just in general.
I have seen "breeders" right here on BYC sell deathly ill chicks just to make a buck.

I would return the brooder today if I were you.

Last edited:
I just went and checked on them and while the Ayam Cemani looks just plain awful (all pasted up and puffed up struggling to breath), the other 3 appear to have turned a corner. The Marans who I thought would surely also die seems so much better! I gave the Ayam a bath to clear her vent and some nutri-drench. Only time will tell what will happen, but I’m hopeful that I’ll have 3 at the end of this ordeal.

Back
Top Bottom