HELP what is wrong with my flock?

Jenny_Penny

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
Hello all. Im I’m need of advice. I posted yesterday about my sick rooster. He is emaciated and has a pale wattle and is lethargic. I gave him allopurium for 5 days and supplements for almost 2 weeks…he seemed to be getting better but now looks more sick again.

My 10 hens seem fine? But after picking them all up maybe they are all in the thinner side? I can’t be 100% sure but seems that way. Some of their stool this morning looked weird. Although the roosters stool has been mostly normal with intermittent diarrhea. No blood no worms. I attributed the diarrhea to all the different foods and supplements I was giving along with antibiotics etc. Now I’m not so sure. Here is a picture of some of the stool I saw this morning. Sorry for posting poop but I need help! Does anyone know what this could be? When I took the rooster into the vet she just told me he quit eating bc of stress but never even asked what his poop looked like! I don’t think she had experience with chickens.

Not sure if I shoud Give them all alloprium? And worm meds? Can I do those at the same time?

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who responds 🙏🏻

Attachments

• 246E4814-9CAA-481C-BE67-7E683078CECA.jpeg
    246E4814-9CAA-481C-BE67-7E683078CECA.jpeg
    801.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 3E535166-242A-40B0-BD80-193A78E67F1F.jpeg
    3E535166-242A-40B0-BD80-193A78E67F1F.jpeg
    928.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 6EA8D25F-6BB3-41E8-B75D-B190012A12F4.jpeg
    6EA8D25F-6BB3-41E8-B75D-B190012A12F4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 5C2F057D-7B08-4266-B3C8-FEC24A831A6D.jpeg
    5C2F057D-7B08-4266-B3C8-FEC24A831A6D.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 1
Usually with corid/amprollium you need to keep giving it at a reduced dose for another week and dose the entire flock. The only thing weird about that poop is how foamy it looks but if you've been giving them lots of stuff that might explain it. When you give corid you should not be giving anything else-especially vitamins because it works by inhibiting thiamine absorption. Did your vet do a fecal smear?

Usually with corid/amprollium you need to keep giving it at a reduced dose for another week and dose the entire flock. The only thing weird about that poop is how foamy it looks but if you've been giving them lots of stuff that might explain it. When you give corid you should not be giving anything else-especially vitamins because it works by inhibiting thiamine absorption. Did your vet do a fecal smear?
Oooh. Okay. Then the Corid I gave the rooster may not have worked because it was in conjunction with a bunch of vitamins.

Actually the stool in the picture is from one of my hens who have been eating their usual feed and also free range. They have not been getting all the supplements and things the rooster got because they all seemed fine. I separated the rooster and fed and medicated him alone. I only gave the him the corid bc I thought it couldn’t hurt. I really didn’t think he had coccidia, especially bc the vet said it was stressed induced anorexia. But now that I see my hens poop looks weird I think Maybe this is some type of parasite. Just weird the biggest and strongest of the bunch (my rooster) would get so sick and the others seem fine.

No she did not offer a fecal smear she didn’t even look at his poo or ask me about it. And I’ve called several vets since who won’t do it.

I have never heard of stress induced anorexia in a chicken. I'm not an expert but there's some serious anthropormorphizing going on there lol. You can do corid without harming them and I would do the whole flock. I'm surprised she would look at the chicken but won't test its poop. What stress did she say was supposedly causing this?

Back
Top Bottom