Help! What just came out of my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jammi Walker, Oct 9, 2018 at 6:47 PM.

1. Jammi Walker

Jammi Walker In the Brooder

May 26, 2018
    IMG_20181009_181337.jpg IMG_20181009_181346.jpg she laid her first 2 eggs last week and not another till today and I know new layers can lay soft eggs or shelless eggs BUT is this a normal no shell egg?? It was slimey and has this thing attached!

Attached Files:

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Jun 24, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    My Coop
    What are you feeding her?

Chick-N-Fun and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. Senna95

Senna95 Songster

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Her system is still trying to work things out. I wouldn't worry about it unless this is a daily deal.

4. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    X2

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

She needs to get the egg machine regular. That's nothing to worry about. One egg was shelled but she also expelled a soft shell too. Provide a dish of oyster shell in a separate bowl.

6. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Mother Duck to Jabby, Gabby, Abby and Dabby

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    My Pekin laid one of those one morning. Then all 4 of the ducks must have played 'kick the egg' with it because egg was EVERYWHERE. When I opened the door in the morning :sick - the smell of duck poop mixed with raw egg was a little more than my stomach could handle in the morning! It hasn't happened again thank goodness!

7. Jammi Walker

May 26, 2018
    I'm feeding her and my drakes crush corn. I also have 12% crush corn, should I be feeding them that instead?

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  8. Jammi Walker

May 26, 2018
    Thanks y'all, my chickens never layed soft eggs so it was a first for me!

Chick-N-Fun and CayugaJana like this.
  9. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    If corn is their main diet, you will likely run into issues as it’s like feed a child only potato chips their whole life. It tastes good, but has very little nutrition they need. Do you have poultry feed in your area to buy?

10. Jammi Walker

May 26, 2018
    They also get, cottage cheese, yogurt, bananas, grapes, oats, lettuce, scrambled chicken eggs, and meal worms... Just depends on what's on hand for the day on snacks. But the crush corn is what I get for their feed. I can get it at 5% 12% or 14% protien. I feed the chicken the 12% protien and free range during the day. My ducks are in a big fenced in area so I don't free range them. When I was getting feed in town it was chicken feed, or scratch feed,it's all they really carry so I started getting the crush corn at a local feed store nearby.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: