Help what kind of fencing will keep predators out of duck run

Duckiemom524

Chirping
Sep 26, 2018
I have a duck run and house that ducks spend majority of day in then I lock them up every evening/ night. We built it last year with chicken wire not realizing that wasn’t predator proof till after it was done. I couldn’t afford to change it so I lock them up at night so they are safe. Since we built it in 09/18 we haven’t had any issues with anything chewing thru chicken wire. Until two nights ago. I had a hole size of large grapefruit so I patched it yesterday and same thing happened last night another hole same size. Not sure what is getting in but don’t want to chance it. So I’m going to redo coop so it’s safe at all times day or night. What is best to use I see different materials and gauges and I’m confused. I want something preferably that ducks can stay out in day or night without locking them in their actual house each night. Where they can go in and out freely but be safe. Also, can I just do sides or does top and floor need to be done as well. The floor and top are also done in chicken wire as of now. The flooring is buried as well. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

It depends what types of predators you have in your area. I use 2"x4" welded wire to keep out large predators like coyotes and bobcats and *hopefully* badgers which are my primary threats. The holes are on the large side however and something like a weasel could get in and a raccoon could reach a hand through, which is why many people go with hardware cloth with smaller holes. (hardware cloth is a bit of a misnomer and it is also a type of welded wire fencing but with much smaller openings, usually 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch square)

Anything labeled as "welded wire" fencing is constructed differently than chicken wire which is "woven" and will be harder for a predator to pry open a hole like they did on your current coop.

Many predators can climb easily so if you can afford to cover the sides and the top with your new fencing I would recommend it.

I would not remove the chicken wire you currently have but add any new fencing you purchase on top of it, this will give an added layer of protection and be less work, win win.

You do not need to fence the whole bottom/floor of the run, however a skirt is recommended and easier to install than digging the fence down below ground. I believe @aart can give you a link to a good article outlining how to install a good skirt on your run.

Raccoons and foxes I think are the most common predators possibly a coyote. We also have lots of owls and hawks as to why they don’t free range unless the dogs and someone is outside with them. I will look up skirting and see. Is there a certain gauge I need to look for?

Those awful mink,weasel family can get through 1” opening maybe even smaller we use 1/2” hardware cloth over everything that has an opening. It’s a pain to work with but well worth it for peace of mind,just wear heavy gloves

Yes! Buy leather gloves when you buy your new fencing if you don't already have some.

Back
Top Bottom