HELP!! WHAT SHOULD I DO???

ChickenPrnces

Songster
8 Years
Jan 2, 2012
Deerfield, NH
Had a very small egg pip 22 hours ago! She has made no progress except for making the pip a teeny bit bigger! How long do I wait before tryingto help a little????????

Ooo. I don't know. :( When I had to rescue some of my eggs from a flood in the coop (I put momma, nest and eggs in my bathtub) when they started to break through or pip as you say I helped a bit. I didn't wait. It didn't hurt them any. Is she still moving around in there? Did it just get tired?

She has been pipped since 5 yesterday afternoon! She still wiggles her beak some but isn't getting anywhere! I actually have 3 like that now! The other 2 have only been pipped for like 12 hours though! The little one was my first pip and I have since had 2 babies hatch out and some more pips and she has done nothing! I am so torn on what to do!

Okay, for what it's worth I'd help it out. I hope if you do it it'll be okay but when I did mine (I had NO idea what I was doing) my theory was that if it was strong enough to try to come out it was ready. So, I capped off a bit of the shell so that it could still breathe and waited and watched the rest. Some came out gangbusters and some were slower but I didn't lose the ones I 'helped'.

Could it be that the shell on these is just very hard?? Making it a tad more difficult to come out?

Gosh, now I'm nervous. Let me know how it goes hon.

Okay, for what it's worth I'd help it out. I hope if you do it it'll be okay but when I did mine (I had NO idea what I was doing) my theory was that if it was strong enough to try to come out it was ready. So, I capped off a bit of the shell so that it could still breathe and waited and watched the rest. Some came out gangbusters and some were slower but I didn't lose the ones I 'helped'.

Could it be that the shell on these is just very hard?? Making it a tad more difficult to come out?

Gosh, now I'm nervous. Let me know how it goes hon.

Will do! Thank you soooo much for the advise! This is my first hatch ever!!!!

If an egg pips and doesn't hatch in about 12-16 hours I gently pull the top half of the egg off and then I let the Chick get out of the egg. It happens every once and a while but most of the eggs here tend to Pip, Zip, and hatches in less than 2 hours. Good luck with your hatch!

Nate

All of you that are "helping out", I may be stupid, but doesn't that mean having to open the incubator? I thought you weren't supposed to do that no matter what. My babies started hatching yesterday, eight so far throughout then and now, but #9...it "pipped", I could see it's little beak, it was moving fine, but then totally stopped. I know they sometimes rest, but it has not bugged at all in hours and my biggest concern is occasionally the other chicks peck at the part of the baby that is sticking out. Is this because it's dead and they know it? How am I supposed to get to the egg to help and not mess up my humidity?

All of you that are "helping out", I may be stupid, but doesn't that mean having to open the incubator? I thought you weren't supposed to do that no matter what. My babies started hatching yesterday, eight so far throughout then and now, but #9...it "pipped", I could see it's little beak, it was moving fine, but then totally stopped. I know they sometimes rest, but it has not bugged at all in hours and my biggest concern is occasionally the other chicks peck at the part of the baby that is sticking out. Is this because it's dead and they know it? How am I supposed to get to the egg to help and not mess up my humidity?

you should probably help it out. a few minutes won't matter humidity wise. in natural brooding the momma gets off every once in a while to eat letting the egg get cold. so it won't matter, just be quick and careful! good luck!

When I had to help a chick, I opened the bator just wide enough to stick my hand in and get the problem egg; I found the humidity didn't drop a huge amount. I worked on the egg outside the bator and dampened the edges of the membrane before I put it back in the bator.
I'm sorry I don't know what to say about the non-moving chick.

Back
Top Bottom