HELP! What type of roofing and design would you suggest for this run?

Here is what the clear polycarbonate corrugated panels would look like as a roof and covering the sides of the run. The roof is permanent, but the sides are held with zip ties for easy removal and storage in the spring.

Shield the north and northwest sides with longer panels, (the predominate winter wind directions), and cover only the bottom half of the run on the other sides to vent. Make sure you slant the roof with a (4:1) slope away from the coop. Plan out the most economical dimensions for each panel so there is no waste.

I got these panels from a local Home Depot, bought them in 8 ft length, stuck them into my car. I pre-drilled the holes, label the panels, and zip tied all the panels onto the run in one weekend. I love these polycarbonate panels, they are more expensive, but extremely durable, light weight, and maintain its clarity to see through. Since I installed these panels, the run stays dry and much warmer.

I love the idea of the removable panels! What I am trying to figure out is the amount of structure needed to fully support the panels. Maybe I am thinking too much. The run itself is in an L shape. 4 feet out from the coop on each end with (2) - 8 foot sections joined at the outermost corner. Should I construct a hip roof or gable roof? I am looking for SIMPLE and QUICK!!

We use plastic roof panels and thick plastic wrap on the walls

I love the idea of the removable panels! What I am trying to figure out is the amount of structure needed to fully support the panels. Maybe I am thinking too much. The run itself is in an L shape. 4 feet out from the coop on each end with (2) - 8 foot sections joined at the outermost corner. Should I construct a hip roof or gable roof? I am looking for SIMPLE and QUICK!!
The L shape run makes the roofing design a challenge. I would suggest building a gable roof slope away from the coop walls by creating a new ridge line along the front face of the coop. One leg of the run will have its roof tug under the coop overhang with a much shallower slope. The other leg of the run will have a roof line parallel to the coop's roof line, sloping the opposite direction, and extend over to overlapping the flatter roof on the top. You will need to build multiple triangles and rectangle supports, spacing 16" to 24" apart above the run to support the roof panels. Alternatively, you can make a flat roof but may have problem with the snow load.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am beginning to get plans drawn out. I'll post when done to get opinions! Feel free to keep suggesting as I go along. I would love to incorporate your ideas!

Another question - do the supports under the polycarbonate paneling HAVE to be painted white? The reclaimed lumber that I have was painted dark brown. Would this cause a problem?

Another question - do the supports under the polycarbonate paneling HAVE to be painted white? The reclaimed lumber that I have was painted dark brown. Would this cause a problem?
Any color will do for the support, you can probably frame with 2"x 2". I used the beige horizontal closure strip to prevent panel shifting side to side on my run since the frame of my run was made of 3/4" dia. steel tubing. You want to orient the panels so that the rain water can drain along the flute away from the coop.

Rough drawings of my thoughts in relation to the roof structure. Horizontal strips will be added as the next step once the framing is done. Hope it isn't overkill! Any suggestions/improvements? Also, when installing the polycarbonate panels, are the foam inserts inferior to the optional wood inserts? If anyone has used the foam inserts, how have they held up? Any mold/mildew buildup?

Rough drawings of my thoughts in relation to the roof structure. Horizontal strips will be added as the next step once the framing is done. Hope it isn't overkill! Any suggestions/improvements? Also, when installing the polycarbonate panels, are the foam inserts inferior to the optional wood inserts? If anyone has used the foam inserts, how have they held up? Any mold/mildew buildup?

You got the idea! Put more horizontal support perpendicular to the flute direction to better nail down the panels. Beware that the roof slope might not be able to be parallel to the coop roof line as desired. It is hard to tell from the photos, so take some measurement of the vertical clearance beneath the coop overhang to the top edge of the run. See the yellow lines in the photos below. Overlap the panels if possible to eliminate an open seam in the ridge line.

Back
Top Bottom