HELP! What's the best set up for an injured chicken that can't roost?

Peep Peeper

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
We have our buff orpington in our basement in a dog crate with a bandaged foot. She's got a bad infection in her toe and is currently on antibiotics.

The issue is she can't get up on the roosting bar we put in there for her so she's just laying on the bottom of the crate (which she's also pooping on).

Is there a better set up we could make for her so she's not laying in poop? (besides scooping poop out around the clock?)

When I put someone in "sick bay" I don't usually provide a roost. I do put shavings in the bottom of the cage and that makes it easier to clean out. Also I have a large dog "crate" that I use so when there is just one chicken in it, they have plenty of space . Kind of gross, but the chickens don't seem to notice they are lying in/stepping on their own poop. Just make sure her foot is wrapped well and be sure to change the dressing frequently to keep the poop from seeping through.

When I put someone in "sick bay" I don't usually provide a roost. I do put shavings in the bottom of the cage and that makes it easier to clean out. Also I have a large dog "crate" that I use so when there is just one chicken in it, they have plenty of space . Kind of gross, but the chickens don't seem to notice they are lying in/stepping on their own poop. Just make sure her foot is wrapped well and be sure to change the dressing frequently to keep the poop from seeping through.

x2 I dont use a roost neither, especially if it's a foot problem...they simply cant roost. I use newspaper and change it often.

Quote: I agree with Dawg and Puddin Fluff of course. One trick I use for my dog crate "sick bay" is I save all my old dish towels etc. and during rummage sale season I pick up every old beat up blanket I can find and cut them into crate size pieces. I keep a pile of them handy. Super absorbant, no slipping, and you just toss them like paper towels.

Back
Top Bottom